Author Topic: could it be osage??!?!  (Read 5410 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: could it be osage??!?!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 12:11:03 pm »
It has been my finding that very large, gnarly, osage trees like the one in the picture don't yield very good bow staves, lots of waste wood to get to a few good staves.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 12:25:21 pm »
Hard to tell from just the base of the trunk.  If the crown is filled with dead black limbs then I would agree.  I've cut trees that had lots of dead wood where water had followed the wood down into the center of the trunk which rotted and consequently became a giant carpenter ant  hotel.  I've also cut trees that had good wood in them too, just never know.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 05:15:14 pm »
Shure is tempting...I have a great big b l tree in my yard, can't bring my self to cut it(yet) but I have thought of branches my self. Just remember the top is what I've been told to use as it is the tension side and makes a better bow...i dont know if it is fact or fiction but I see the logic  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 05:30:40 pm »
If you decide to cut it, seal the ends with plenty of glue, shellac, or urethane.  If you split it into staves and remove the bark and sapwood, seal the backs of the staves like you do the ends.  Store it in a dry place. 

Before you cut it, check your area and see if you could find some nearby to cut, like someone mentioned earlier.  Why not do a search for "osage" on your local craigslist site.  You might find someone selling osage for firewood.  You might be able to tell them what you are wanting and ask them to call you if they find a suitable tree.  Just an idea.  You could always go to the closest rural area and ask some farmers.  They typically don't care for osage.  Good luck with what ever you decide.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:43:19 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Birdman

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 11:28:49 pm »
Hey Pat,  if you don't "own" your yard trees, you must liven in the PEOPLES' REPUBLIC OF ANN ARBOR, MI, .......HA

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 05:08:25 am »
And even the staves are as clear as day an sticking out,and will guide you where to split.....

...could even have the design laid out right underneath the bark...  8) 8) 8)

Want one in my backyard, too...
Frank from Germany...

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 01:40:12 pm »
I live in Canada. There is some logic to that ruling though. You need trees  in the city and the average city person has no clue as to the benefits and nearly everyone would cut their trees down to save them the bother of yard work.