Author Topic: Bear Down  (Read 3844 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Bear Down
« on: November 27, 2011, 06:09:59 pm »
As previously seen in: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28310.0.html

Had lots of difficulty with this bow.  I roughed it out green, then watched the twist actually tighten as it dried; the bottom limb in particular has near 180 degrees of twist... Got carried away with the roughing as well, she almost came in underweight... Paid too little attention to lateral pin knots and had to reinforce with patches... 3 times lost tip overlays and had to redo... 2wice belly reinforcements... but the results:
Saskatoon (serviceberry ie amelanchier alnifolia) selfbow, rawhide backed, 59 3/4" T2T, 59 1/4"N2N, 40#@28", elk hoof tips and belly patches, leather shelf and handle pad, 13 striped gopher skin arrow pass, leather grip, india ink "decoration/camo", Krylon sprayed finish, bear grease  ;) waterproofing, and brown shoe polish because the white parts were still too white.  Not the fastest thing in the world, but then I never tried it with 9gpp arrows.  With my 500gr arrows, maybe 140fps.  Enough to punch through a small bear anyways.
Now I know y'all want to see some pictures and I'm not here to mess with you:

with my split poplar log arrows:

She took some set but not bad!

Belly patches.  Stupid pin knots.

If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kpete

Re: Bear Down
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 06:16:37 pm »
Sorry it didn't come out quite like you wanted. Sounds like you kept at it and I like the different things you did with it.  I like the full draw picture too.
thanks for the pics

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:24:52 pm »
She looks pretty good to me and definately bear worthy! Cool bow!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dazv

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:27:39 pm »
very nice

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 06:35:38 pm »
Yep, those pin knots will get you if you are not careful - and serviceberry is full of them. Good job keeping at it. The tiller looks perfect for a bendy handled bow. I love the arrows.
Gordon

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:56:06 pm »
nice job! You fixed those problem spots up nice.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 08:22:14 pm »
One bow and allota learning, cant go wrong there. Cool full draw shot for certain.  Way to stick with it to the bitter end. I dropped a bow off my tree and whacked a finished tip overlay loose.......made me sick.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:13:33 pm »
I like it...nice full draw :)
I had a nock overlay pop off while shooting in a bow once...scared the crap out of me and thought the bow went boom...but it was ok and I tucked my tail between my legs and glued a new one on :laugh:

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 10:41:13 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys!  If I half deserve them I'm honored.  :) An extra note about the arrows:  When I first started cutting those lightning zigzags into the fletchings, I thought to myself "Whoa what are you doing you idiot! Those things will hiss through the air like crazy!" but I'm delighted to tell you they are very quiet, quieter than several smooth-cut arrows I've made.  Not sure why.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

TurtleCreek

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 02:08:44 pm »
  You certainly are a determined bowyer!  Nice bow and great job making it work

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 10:46:55 pm »
Maybe it's the camo decoration... maybe the perseverence.  But I like it; I like it a lot.  Congratulations on a great looking bow!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI