Author Topic: Need opinions on straightening a stave  (Read 3313 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Need opinions on straightening a stave
« on: December 01, 2011, 08:51:38 pm »
This summer I found this roughed out bow under our bed.  The back had been chased to a single ring and sealed.  I did not remember it at all.  I guess I roughed it out last year and stuck it under there to dry and forgot about it.  I haven't had much if any time for bow building this summer/fall, but now things are starting to slow down a little.  I weighed the stave in Aug. and it was 32.8 oz.  I weighed it today and it was 32.7 oz, so I guess it is dry.  It has a bend in one limb right at the fade making one limb deflexed by several inches.  I can't decide if I should leave it, or try to straighten it.  I was hoping for some opinions on what route I should go.  Also, if I leave it, would it be better as the upper or lower limb?  Thanks for any advice.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dvshunter

Re: Need opinions on straightening a stave
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:51:56 pm »
Deflex/reflex stave from the looks of it. I think that would be safer than trying to bend it the other way and risk popping the handle off.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:10:15 pm »
If it was me I would bend it, I had one like that curved in both limbs,the result was both limbs curved worse when bow was finished.hope you get your info.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:36:26 pm »
I would steam the entire stave and clamp it to a simple reflexed form. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 12:04:32 am »
Yup, steam the whole thing and reflex it evenly mand line the tips and handle up in one shot.....................or just send it to me!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 12:28:30 am »
How thick is the limb at the fades. If thick enough take some of the handle off so there is less of a chance of it popping off. I'd use a heat gun and oil and just take it slow clamping it to a slightly reflexed form.
  If you decide to use steam be sure to shellac the whole stave before steaming to keep that dry wood dry. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 12:40:33 am »
I guess I am going to have to build a reflex form.  Thanks for the advice guys.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:51:42 am »
I use my relfex form for all kinds of tasks Clint. It works just to straighten sections, or reflex the whole bow. Its a handy piece of 2x to have around for sure.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 03:11:22 pm »
Left as is makes for tough tiller. If it still wet so steam is the way to go.  If dry the a heat gun would work to. I don't have a forma and use my wood vice to heat and bend. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 09:44:14 pm »
I use my relfex form for all kinds of tasks Clint. It works just to straighten sections, or reflex the whole bow. Its a handy piece of 2x to have around for sure.

I got a piece of 4"x4" fiberglass angle about 6' long for straightening.  It is very sturdy, but is still lightweight.  I just don't have a reflex form yet.  It is on my to do list for this winter.  I guess I will have to get going on it.  I plan on following Gary Davis' layout measurements.   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 12:35:02 am »
Good chance to try out that new bandsaw!  ;) A 2x6, 68" long with 3" of smooth reflex won't take long to make and with the amount of osage you have you'll wear it out before you run out of wood.  ;D  Attach it to a 2x8 and you can add reflex plus straighten lateral bends.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

TurtleCreek

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 01:35:27 am »
  It will be neat to see how it turns out.  I wish I could find osage under my bed!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 10:37:38 am »
You didnt want any Ryan! Dont even start crying now pal!