Author Topic: Hickory back-up  (Read 6821 times)

Offline Kegan

Hickory back-up
« on: July 26, 2007, 04:36:29 pm »
Well, with season and school just around the corner, I needed to get a decent back up bow made as to avoid last year's fiasco. So here it is- plain and simple. A 64" hickory D bow (my first working full-sizer) with flipped up ears and a natural walnut/charcoal stain. It is about 55# at 28" and is as smooth as butter to draw. It shoots right where you want and is silent. It has very little if any handshock and it practically tillered itself. I heat treated the belly, but I think I'll give it a few more treatments to add some weight too it. Pardon the full drw pic- my hand was too far off center on the string- the tiller is actually better than that. BUt i think I have fallen in love with these simple D bows :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: Hickory back-up
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 06:59:43 pm »
Looks nice Kegan, you should be set for season now.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:14:51 pm »
I think you are ready to hunt.  It might bend just a little to much in the handle area.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 05:59:19 am »
Very nice Kegan,Plane and simple. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 12:50:57 pm »
What a treat this a.m. to look at a bunch of truly primitive stick bows. Got your well-tillered bow bookmarked for July Self Bow of the Month.  Thanks for the post.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

makete

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 01:32:22 pm »
I really like this simple (?) bow. Well done. Is there really anything simple about about bows like this? Not to us just starting out. ;D

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 02:19:25 pm »
Nice looking bow Kegan, hard to beat that plain and simple D bow design.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 04:07:59 pm »
Thanks everyone! I really like this bow- it is so smooth to draw :). Think I might have someone in mind to give it to thopugh, so it might not make it to season ;)

Justin- yeah, it does bend a little more in the handle, but the ears seemed to have caused that- but it shoots well so I'm happy ;D

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 08:09:30 am »
Hi Kegan, a nice looking bow. I like Hickory very much, too.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 12:42:34 pm »
Keegan, cool looking bow, how is the handshock with the stiff outer limbs and full working handle? Steve

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 04:54:07 pm »
Badger- Handshock isn't as bad as getting used to a wide handle :). Might have to take it in a little to get a better grip, but it is such a pleasent shooter that I don;t want to mess it up :o!

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 06:17:27 pm »
Keegan, I know lots of guys shooting wide handled d bows, once you get your arrow spine right it wont bother you at all. Have you seen some of the d bows that Tim Baker makes? Steve

jamie

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 08:08:32 pm »
kegan i find it harder to shoot a narrow handle bow. for me all i have to do is push my hand to the target and it goes there with the wider handle.  if it draws nice , doesnt shake your teeth out,  and hasnt taken too much set tiller dont matter. if you had to you could pike some of the stiff tip off and get more outer limb to bend. nice job peace

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 08:42:47 pm »
                       Once ya get used to wide handled D-bows ya will probably prefer 'em if it draws mooth as Jamie says. As far as handshock,(vibration) ya wont even notice it when shootin' at game. Nice bow ;)..............bob

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 04:47:07 pm »
Thanks everyone :)! I always felt that a drawknife-and-vise flatbow should be shot with arrows from boards, and that the sourwood I had would go to waste. Well, now they have a new use (and those board arrows might be the new dust gatherers).

Steve- It isn't that the bow isn't accurate, it's just that I am used to narrower handles (such as on flatbows) The new one I'm wokingg on has a 1 1/4" handle and is alot easier for me, even if it is just 1/4".

Bob- you're right, I have come to prefer them :). A little time spent taking it down with the hatchet and a little work with the rasp and she's done- never heard of a stiff handle bows done that way ;). Next step is stone;D!