Author Topic: Primitive Bow Building Help  (Read 3855 times)

tradbowman

Primitive Bow Building Help
« on: July 25, 2007, 12:53:21 am »
Hello to All, I have been a reader of Primitive Archer for about 5 yrs.. I have been visiting this website for about the same. I have made a few board bows and a fiberglass longbow, but I need some serious help because I have what I call bow builders block. If anyone in Texas or anywhere near Houston would be willing to give me some mentoring I would really be thankful. Unfortunately Texas doesn't have Primitive bowbuiding meets like other states. I hope and would really appreciate it if someone near the Houston area could give me some help. I have all the books and they are great but I am a hands-on kinda guy and just need someone to show me the ropes in person. Thanks in advance and any help will be appreciated. Yusef... My email is yusefd72@hotmail.com   P.S. I will travel to the person if distance is not too far from Houston. Hopefully not much more than an hour or two. Thanks Again Yusef

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Primitive Bow Building Help
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 05:56:12 am »
Yusef I don't live close but if you can post some pictures of you problem and ask some questions
you can get almost like hands on here.Been where you or and these folks really help.There will be someone come along cause I know we have some TX, folks on here. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:31:59 pm »
I know there are several people in and around Dallas that could help you, maybe meet somewhere along the way. This is the reason I was wanting to get a bow meet running here in the great state earier, there are so many guys around here. One thing you mgiht want to do is make it up for Ojam next year.
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

tradbowman

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 02:13:22 am »
Hello Pappy and 1/2 Primitive, I have a problem with tillering. I think its just a fear or something. I have built 3 board bows and 2 survived, well I broke the second one trying to string it with the wrong string(Trying to show family and friend on Thanksgiving). I kinda just want to watch someone who is experienced go throgh the whole process. I still have 2 shooters and have about 15 board that are cut to shape and to the floor tillering stage to practice on. Mostly rough cut pecan and hickory. I am using up all the red oak boards for practice b4 I use my good stuff. I dont know why but I push past my hang up when someone else is around(weird huh). I would love to try and make your shoot Pappy next year or even Mojam 1/2 Primitive, I might have to if we cant get this texas thing off the ground. Sorry so long winded. You guys take care and keep in touch... Yusef

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 07:19:11 am »
Yusef,I think everyone dose to begin with,because up to that point it looks like a bow.
Not that you can't ruin one in other stages but there are probably more trashed Tillering
than any where else.You are going at it the right way .Just keep practicing and it will come.
I would love to see you at the Classic ,you can diffidently get to see a lot of tillering going on
there,we usually finish around 30 bow to shoot out of about 40 last year started.Just
keep up what you are doing and it will get easier. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good