Author Topic: Jute/snake backed Osage D bow..2nd akin finished pics  (Read 9365 times)

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
Jute/snake backed Osage D bow..2nd akin finished pics
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:24:52 pm »
Hey guys just finished up this Jute backed Osage D bow. This is the second of three bows I hope to get out of this stave. The first I made went to my brother Dan. I made this one for myself and plan to make a third for my dad. This bow is the side by side split of Dan's. I chased the first ring under the sap wood then did a belly split. The belly split will hopefully be the third bow. I flipped the tips and did some heat correction on a kink in the upper limb. Some of the kink pull out during tillering.  It measures 51 3/4" tip to tip and is backed with jute. Hickory Bill gave me a lesson on backing with Jute cord...Thanks Bill. The skins are canebreak rattler that I got from Cipriano. There was only one skin so he suggested I split it down the middle...worked out great. Thank you Amigo! The bow finished out 65#@25" and took 3/4" of set and about a inch after shooting. The tips are ebony and  I dressed them up with deer molars. I made the arrow rest out of a Bears penis bone....yep thats right penis bone. The feather rides right thru the grove and I'm getting awesome arrow flight. I cushioned the grip with a gel pad and the leather is from a old coat. The string is B50 dacron. I finished her with 8 coats of tru oil. I am very happy with how it shoots and plan to use it in the second season. Little bow really packs a punch and shoots where your looking.

Jon

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
Re: Jute/snake backed Osage D bow..2nd akin finished pics
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:28:54 pm »
Heres a few more

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 10:33:55 pm »
Really cool little bow straightarrow! I gotta admit the arrow rest is certainly original.... :):):)

Jon

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 10:35:29 pm »
Yes Sir!

That is a Slick looking bow.
And a Fine back story.
Love your attention to Detail.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 11:05:43 pm »
She finished up real nice buddy....you always do exceptional finish work...the bears junk bone really turned out well.  ;) .....now how come ya didn't mention what happened to that black walnut stave..lol :laugh:

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 11:09:03 pm »
Nice.  Love that full draw.  George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 11:15:15 pm »
 That's a real pretty one, bet is is quick at that weight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 12:22:45 am »
Jon, that is a fantastic bow. Only 51" and 65# @ 25" is a great accomplishment. The overall theme of the bow is well thought out and makes the package complete. Well done.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 12:32:15 am »
Jon,

That is a fantastic looking bow! You are welcome amigo. You did that skin justice  ;) Mucho justice.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 01:01:13 am »
Nice lookin bow, I like how you incorporated the deer molars and the bears "unmentionable" bone.  It really sets it apart and makes it unique!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 01:44:22 am »
Very nice looking bow. excellent job on the finish work and the full draw is just plain sweet
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 07:56:46 am »
Beautiful bow,finish work is exceptional.Very nice. :) :) Tiller looks good also. :)Should be a sweet shooter. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dazv

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 09:50:17 am »
I really like this style of bow. Awesome tiller i bet this little thing hits hard.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 10:06:13 am »
The last few bows you posted are just plain sweet! You have the shorty recurve mastered my friend.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 10:07:30 am »
Beautiful bow.......  creative idea for the arrow rest, that's for sure!