Author Topic: BEND THROUGH THE HANDLE BOWS(??)  (Read 20205 times)

Offline mspink

Re: BEND THROUGH THE HANDLE BOWS(??)
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 12:20:27 am »
Ive made bendy and nonbendy and gotta say that I love bendy handle bows. Seem to shoot the same to me..
Aim small miss small!

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 12:44:12 am »
All of my bows bend through the handle. They're solid performers and since more of the limbs bend I feel like they're more durable and last longer before the wood deteriorates.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 12:49:53 am »
I have one more thing to add. A bendy handle has to be thee easiest bow to tiller for me. I have heard many say that its harder than a rigid handle. I never found that to be so in my experineces. Fades are responsible for making or breaking many a bow, when ya aint got none they cant be stiff or hinged!
why do you think i exclusively make bendy handles ::)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

mikekeswick

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 04:59:25 am »
The handle area should only really be felt to bend slightly at full draw - anymore bend and it will be shocky. Remember it's the thickest part of the bow and should/can only bend less than the rest of the limbs without set there. Set at the handle is bad news for performance. Re. your question about limb thickness taper what matters is the layout of the limbs themselves if you go for a pyramid design then therer should be a slight thickness taper in the handle/center section then the limbs will be the same thickness to the the tips or if you go with a parrallel width for most of the limb then there will be a thickness taper and the tiller should be elliptical as the wood gets thinner (can/should bend more) towards the tips.
Hope this helps.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 10:45:18 am »
The bendy handle bows I've got are great shooters.  They are less tolerate of arrow spine due to the wide handle section, though, so it takes a while to match arrows to them.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline tdog

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 02:23:36 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. I have learned much. If you have any pics to post of your bendy bows, post away.

Mark
It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 03:53:11 pm »
Bend in the handle bows are easier to tiller than rigid handle bows provided the handle is the widest part of the bow. Do one and you get you BA. Tiller out a rigid handle bow and you get your MA. When you get into narrowed handled bows that bend through the fades and the handle you are approaching your PHD and you will earn it when you begin to break new ground. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 04:03:18 pm »
Bend in the handle bows are easier to tiller than rigid handle bows provided the handle is the widest part of the bow. Do one and you get you BA. Tiller out a rigid handle bow and you get your MA. When you get into narrowed handled bows that bend through the fades and the handle you are approaching your PHD and you will earn it when you begin to break new ground. :) Jawge

So according to the seasoned veteran I have my doctorate .....hahahahahahah :laugh:ahaha....yeah right...I got a long ways to go before I get that Jawge. ;)

I love the feel of my handle "giving in" right before full draw. When I tiller a bendy I tiller the fades and handle last a few inches from my target draw length,and blend it into my limbs. Dang if I keep talking im gonna talk myself into building another bendy asap....ill shut up now ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 04:12:35 pm »
Got my phD on the tree right now Jawgey! Its a 58" ttt elm static that has a narrow, thicker working handle. Of course its not fully tillered and shot in yet, so Im still in school!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 05:36:23 pm »
Good for you, PD and blackhawk. You completed your coursework. You only get your PHD when you "break new ground". That's for fellers like Badger, Marc and Tim Baker. Sorry. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

blackhawk

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 05:45:04 pm »
Tru Jawge...but don't forget to put yourself in that list...cus you break new ground all the time with them tomater sticks of yours....lol :laugh:.....hey...and isn't it about time for you to start whittling on some black locust? ::)....isn't it winter up there already?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 06:07:25 pm »
Good for you, PD and blackhawk. You completed your coursework. You only get your PHD when you "break new ground". That's for fellers like Badger, Marc and Tim Baker. Sorry. :) Jawge

Nah, I prefer to "break new bows" rather George! Im not flippin my tassle so fast!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 07:29:59 pm »
blackhawk, I went out this afternoon for some hunting. I have until 12/15. LOL. Like it matters. But i did see the biggest buck I've seen in 25 years. Too far for a shot. Besides how would I get a monster like that out of the woods! I'm doing a little whittling here and there but not much yet. Yup. Got my PHD in making tomato sticks. You can't beat it! Having a blast!  :)  Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 10:14:53 pm »
Id like to point out,that the term "Bendy" handle is often used interchanging,with a working handle bow.A bendy handled bow,has a circular tiller,with the grip being part of that tiller.A working handle is often felt and not seen,with the grip area,being slightly stiff and only felt when at or near full draw.