Author Topic: Peach as bow wood.  (Read 4896 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Peach as bow wood.
« on: February 19, 2012, 06:42:10 pm »
I have a few plumbs I planted 15 years ago but none have branches or trunks appropriate for bows; too short, too twisty. A few years ago a sucker shot up from the root stock of one of these plums. I've been watching it to see what it would be. Last year it bloomed and set fruit but the fruit did not develop. This tree produced small peaches and its leaves looked more like peach than plum. Both are from the same genus, Pronus, but are different species. Well, yesterday I cut it at the base, cut off the top branched area and ended up with a pole about 7' long and about 2" in diameter.
  Here is my question for you plum branch bow guys. Should I leave it in pole form to dry or cut it out to almost bow shape and let it dry before building a bow? I'm hoping to keep the bark on if I haven't waited to long to cut it. The flower buds are swelling so I'm not sure if the bark will slip or not. I plan to leave it on until the stave dries anyway unless it should be removed and the back sealed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: Peach as bow wood.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:06:24 am »
If it were me I would rough it out (leaving the bark on the back) while still green. If you live in a dry climate you might wrap it in cellophane for a week or so to slow down the drying and avoid checks.  I haven't had any serious checking using the rough it out green method, but I live in a more humid environment than most.  Just don't split it or rip it and dry it like that. Get down beneath the pith line if possible cause in my experience thats where all the bad checking happens.

I bet this would make a peachy bow  ;D ;D ;D.

gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 01:43:45 am »
Thanks Gabe. That is kind of what I was thinking but wanted to be sure.  Any suggestions on length. My draw is 26" but I usually tiller bows out to 28".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 02:59:05 am »
Sounds Peachy Pat....

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 04:20:01 am »
Just peachy (sorry it needed one more) can't wait to see this project!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:53:07 am »
I cut the belly side out yesterday and tied it to a form to dry. I'll get some pics to post here.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 07:00:11 pm »
Here are a few pics...

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 07:40:58 pm »
Looking great Pat, now the "fun" part...waiting...tick, tock~  ::)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 08:19:36 pm »
Maybe it will be next years trade bow, Lee.  ;)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 08:22:25 pm »
It might be dry by then Pat...

Hopefully I'll be in a place when I can jump back in and enjoy the games of another Trade by then..."time" will tell I guess.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 08:53:22 pm »
Sweet!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 01:24:38 am »
Looks almost identical to apricot. I hope it turns out good I got some beautiful apricot and peach staves just iching to be bows
Clatskanie, Oregon