Author Topic: white cedar or tamarack bow wood  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Matt A

white cedar or tamarack bow wood
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:40:57 am »
here in northern Minnesota we have tons of white cedar and tamarack. I hear all this talk about ERC but nothing about this. also i've heard a little about using tamarack, if i tried what would I back these bows with and how long/ what style should they be?  :o

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: white cedar or tamarack bow wood
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 02:52:02 am »
Arrows but not bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:01:33 am »
It should be noted that ERC is actually a juniper not a cedar.  That's why it works while white cedar doesn't.   Josh

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:37:41 am »
I just roughed  out a bow from a nice clear piece of green tamarak.  I got the stave from a local bowyer who claims it is a worthy bow wood.  I live in thunder bay Ontario, north of you :)  Also, my next batch of arrows will be from a white cedar board, I need to put my Strunk planer to work :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Matt A

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:56:13 pm »
pat. is white cedar just extremely weak? cause i know it's terrible in tension but fairly decent in compression.

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:11:39 pm »
I agree that white cedar (thuya occidentalis) would be good for arrows only but tamarack ( Larix laricina) was used by natives around where I live. I have a hunting partner that told me he was given a tamarack bow made by an Abitibi region native. Also in TBB4 tim baker states that good bows have been reported. I say go for Tamarack, long and wide bow will prolly work.
Quebec, Canada

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 08:34:03 pm »
It should be noted that ERC is actually a juniper not a cedar.  That's why it works while white cedar doesn't.   Josh
Yes, and white cedar is no cedar either ^_^

Not trying to be mean or anything, but really, try a search. When it comes to wood species, a short search on PA (and even PP) is often sufficient to tell you all about bow potentials of a wood species.
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=+site:primitivearcher.com+tamarack&fp=267af42d1251a081
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=+site:primitivearcher.com+%22white+cedar%22&pbx=1&oq=+site:primitivearcher.com+%22white+cedar%22
Plenty of info around already.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 04:56:23 am »
It would seem you are correct that white cedar is not a cedar but a cypress .  The point remains however  ERC is bow wood.  White cedar doesn't seem to be.   Josh