Author Topic: When did you start?  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Bill Skinner

Re: When did you start?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 09:36:13 pm »
Started around 10 years ago.  Went to a couple of knap ins in Moundville and N Georgia.  Was going broke buying rock so I found a local source, of Tallahatta Quartzite.  It worked pretty good but then I was going broke buying tools.  Tallahatta will eat a copper or an antler bopper, so I started making my own copper tools and spending more time looking for sheds.  It was frustrating at the start but I got a lot better when I learned to relax and smack the snot out of the rock.  After all, until I am done with it, it's just a rock.

Offline Tower

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 09:50:25 pm »
Amen , its just a rock.  And purddy uns too!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 01:01:13 am »
Spring of '09 was the first try. I played around with pressure flaking glass for about 6 months before I got some tools and started hitting rock.
 No pics of the first one, but here's the last five. I made these back in the fall.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 05:33:19 am »
 ::) Shannon:  Your talent borders on obscene!  I wear the one pine tree you gave me and really appreciate that you gave it to me!  Thanks   A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 10:32:15 am »
Dang the time fly's! Looked back through my old pics and appears i got it in my head that modern man could make a stone point back in March 04. So 7 or 8 years. Got into it heavy for a few years but the last few i have slowed waaay down due to life :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 11:12:55 am »
Started in the 50s.  That was "BC" (before computers) and when there were no knap ins.  Finally had help from J B Solberger and a fellow from the University of Idaho, and then from Larry Shoemacher.  Larry was fantastic and we used to go to knap ins and to the Buttes.  Went to some of D C Waldorf's knap ins and found the elite knappers there to be a tight knit bunch with no interest in helping an outsider.  Was never an artist, but managed to harvest about everything but an antelope with points I made.  Have really slowed down and only knap as needed now!  I really enjoy the pit at Twin Oaks during the Classic as there are some mighty fine artisans there and all willing to show, teach, and share.  Last year there was a very young lad there that sure enough beat up on some rocks and made for some good laughs!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight