Author Topic: archery injuries  (Read 23677 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: archery injuries
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 11:36:07 pm »
I hereby swear before God and man that I will NEVER shoot a carbon arrow.  That is frightening!  I guess that is why I lecture everyone I teach to shoot a bow that they check every arrow every time they pull it from the target. 

Worst injury I ever did was putting a disc out of place throwing a fit after cutting the nocks in backwards the second time on the same limb.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 12:57:47 am »
Yes, I turned my 11 year old loose with his first bow at Marshall, MI.  I rushed through a dozen "Tony Stewart" colored arrows and didn't trim the feathers.  He came back with bruised, bloody knuckles.  He was shooting for about an hour.  I told him to stop and let me trim his feathers for him.  He refused.  He didn't want it to take any time away from his shooting so, off he went and shot another couple of hundred arrows at the practice target.  Finally, when his index finger looked like hamburger meat, he let me trim the feathers.  He went back at it though.  He loves his bow. 

Had a hickory backed bow that I was recently making.  After removing wood in the tillering stage, I exercised the bow, drawing, releasing, drawing, releasing (you know, how the books say to do).  I decided it was time to shorten the string and bring it to brace height.  I use the "push/pull" string-up method.  (If I'm not strong enough to slide the string up into the groove, I know that I have to reduce some more wood because its probably an 80-pounder).   I struggled a bit, likely it was around 70 pounds.  Immediately after a loud CRACK, pieces flew and the rest of the bow slapped the tender underneath of my bicep causing a silver dollar bruise.  Kinda hurt, too.  My son who was there said, "Was it supposed to do that?"
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Boofus

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 03:31:03 am »
I was shooting my 67lb Osage bow in my backyard... It was a hot summer day and i took my shirt off. Now mind you that i've shot with my shirt off countless times before and never had a problem untill.... I was focusing on my back tension and trying to eek out an inch more draw when i finally released my arrow the bowstring caught my left nipple ring and tore in right out!!!  :o Oh my God it hurt sooooo bad. I have to get it re-pierced now and i will never shoot with my shirt off again!!!

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 02:50:22 pm »
boofus, have you seen meet the spartans by any chance?
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 03:16:21 pm »
Just a string smacking me where my thumb joins my wrist. 

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 04:26:45 pm »
MWirwicki and Boofus, that's the Funniest Thing I have heard in a long while...

"Was it supposed to do that?"

"Nipple Ring Launcher"...

Sorry guys, I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but D@mn!
I nearly fell outa my chair...  :)

Sorry for your Pain!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 05:23:44 pm »
I was shooting my 67lb Osage bow in my backyard... It was a hot summer day and i took my shirt off. Now mind you that i've shot with my shirt off countless times before and never had a problem untill.... I was focusing on my back tension and trying to eek out an inch more draw when i finally released my arrow the bowstring caught my left nipple ring and tore in right out!!!  :o Oh my God it hurt sooooo bad. I have to get it re-pierced now and i will never shoot with my shirt off again!!!

That is exactly why I don't have anything pierced.....well, that and a few thousand other reasons ;D 

That had to hurt. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Lemos

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 02:14:34 am »
Ok I've heard of shooting with a thumb ring but never a nipple ring.

Offline Boofus

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 03:07:13 am »
Oh hurt it did fellas! and it truely was a "Nipple ring Launcher" i never found that damn ring.... >:(

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 01:12:30 pm »
When I first started shooting I was shooting a lot. After a couple of weeks I got a really bad case of tendonitis in my elbow and my finger tips turned numb.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 01:45:55 pm »
The only injury I ever suffered came from a Martin wheelie back in the mid 80's. Stupid tear drop on the end of the cable broke off TWICE. When the "bow" let go it smacked my arm bad and left a scar I can still see.

Cracker I love it!!!!! Tell your wife Im sorry for laughing at her expense!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.