Author Topic: maple short bow help!  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Shondy55

maple short bow help!
« on: December 20, 2011, 04:46:42 am »
hey guys i just bought a maple board from home depot, its got really good straight grain and its very dense 1" x 2"....anyway my buddy wanted a short bow to start shooting so i was wondering what would be a good set of dimensions to make a maple short bow out of... i was thinking #55 @29inch for the draw, thanks!
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: maple short bow help!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:16:43 am »
I wouldn't go any shorter then 66 for that long of a draw and would probably back it even then especially with maple. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Shondy55

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 12:59:01 pm »
thanks pappy, so you think 60inches ntn is out of the question?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 01:17:59 pm »
60" ntn would be good if the handle worked and the bow was 2" wide. Back it with rawhide. Its cheap and easy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 01:42:15 pm »
Maybe 60 ,but I am not much on pushing the envelope that much, 29 inches is a lot to ask from a 60 inch piece of Maple,I know folks here do it but I look more for longevity than anything and do tend to overbuild so maybe mine is not the best advice. I know they say double the draw is enough on bend in the handle bow and with some woods say Osage/Hickory and everything prefect [Tiller] that may be true but it is asking a lot from most woods I have delt with,most short bows if you notice the full draw picture on here ant 29 inches ,usually not even 26 there is a reason for that. :) :) JMO.  :) :) I would
rather be safe than sorry. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 01:56:26 pm »
Im not sure where hackberry compares to maple? I have a 60" unbacked hackberry bow that bends in the handle and draws 29" easily. Its about 1 3/4" wide and left quite heavy duty after the fades. Dont know if that helps or confuses. I have never considered maple boards or staves....so...
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 04:41:32 pm »
I agree with pappy... i would much rather make a bendy handle 60 inch bow that pulled 25" and lasted for many years than pshing the envelope and getting a bow that only lasted a few thousands shots... Just my opinion though.

Jon

P.S. I have had bad luck with maple boards chrysaling so I would not go too short.

youngbowyer

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 08:58:01 pm »
my 63" maple bow can be pulled to 28" with no problem...... Don't underestimate the quality of the maple boards of home depot, they really do make some fine bows.

Offline Shondy55

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:36:19 pm »
 based on your guys advice i've settled on a 65 or 63 inch bow with a working handle and 28 inch draw, now i'm not quite sure how to make a working handle...do you pretty much just gradually take off wood and work it down like you would a limb of a bow?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 07:26:19 am »
I think you have made a good compromise,Not to short and not to long. :) :) Ya pretty much like a limb bow,be careful not to get it bending to much in the handle area to early.I have mine start bending toward the end of the draw,last few inches. :) :) Good luck and keep us posted. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Shondy55

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 01:28:09 pm »
Thanks pappy, and will do

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 01:54:15 pm »
I think Pappy's got it and your going the right way.  I made a 56" Maple - bend through the handle.  It shot for a a few months than crack. 
1’—>1’

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 03:30:17 pm »
that little bit of extra length will make for a more shooter freindly bow to,most of mine are 66" ttt Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹