Author Topic: Greetings from Kentucky  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Nidhoggr

Greetings from Kentucky
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:46:26 pm »
Hello, hello.  I have always been interested in medieval and viking life and have pursued knowledge on it.  I have researched and practiced sword play, building, clothing, making maille, etc.  I took archery as a child through my teens, and recently that fire was VERY refueled watching videos of primitive bows.  I had no idea there were entire communities dedicated to it.

I am getting my first bow in the next week or so as an early Christmas/Yule gift and am insanely excited to get to practicing.  Once I am confident in shooting I am going to attempt to build my own bows, arrows, arrowheads, and onward until I can relatively self-sustain my hobby.  To me, any manner of knowledge betters onself.  Further more, practical knowledge such as how to SURVIVE is the most important.

From what I have read on this board, everyone here seems incredibly friendly and amazing!  Just wanted to introduce myself.  Sorry for the long introduction lol

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Greetings from Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:51:06 pm »
Sorry, we are all just pretending.  Now go away while you still have a passing acquaintance with sanity. 

I'm warning you, the first time you get a sliver while making a bow you will be infected.  Some are infected just by breathing the fumes!  We are all trapped by the obsession, you still have a chance.  Now go!  As it is, you may be too late!!!

;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:52:04 pm »
Welcome!!  Glad to see you're excited.  Being a little insane helps too... ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 07:37:48 pm »
Welcome to PA,,and,, what they said :'( ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline MacNeil

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:29:28 am »
Greetings from another Kentuckian.  ;D

I'm right there with you, regarding your interests. I have studied Medieval Europe for years. Just recently I have developed an interest in traditional archery (more specifically, the English Longbow).

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 03:57:30 am »
I would love to meet up with some people in the region and perhaps learn some things, and even teach things if people were interested in other crafts (like Maille).

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 10:42:49 am »
Welcome ,you will like it here,it's a great bunch of folks that love to help.What part of KY are you from ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:44:54 pm »
Louisville. Same as Macneil. I saw you said there are a couple people right nearby who make bows.

Offline bushrod

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 08:27:02 am »
Hey guys, KY here also Louisville area. Brandenburg to Be exact. Gonna kayak down the ohio as soon as the weather warms enuff. Search for caves and live on wild greens and fresh fish for a few primitive camping days.  Old retired fart here learning or relearning survival skills. Any who want to join is welcome. Having company makes it safer. Just leave message on this thread if interested. You don't need expensive rig. Hell mine is blow up cheapy kayak, yet to be tested. I plan on stopping b4 the dam in Hancock county. Also amatuer bow maker myself. would love to meet exchange notes, show  bows and atlatl (spear chuckers).

Offline uwe

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 04:20:35 pm »
Kentucky..., thats I was dreaming of, when I was a boy. The Scouts and Trappers, the Indians. In my head appeared always new ideas of this country...
Brandenburg- not far away from me, an area near Berlin. We call these areas "Bundesland", similar to Kentucky, Texas or NY. Seems to be a settlement of early Germans as Little Kiel, Little Holstein in Iowa.
Regards from Schleswig Holstein wiith its capitol Kiel
Uwe