Author Topic: 2 fletch arrows?  (Read 2455 times)

Offline nclonghunter

2 fletch arrows?
« on: December 20, 2011, 12:42:03 am »
Where or what documentation exists for the 2 feather fletching  for eastern Cherokee arrows or any arrows...all photos that I have seen of primitive arrows have three fletch. I believe that Otzis (icemans) arrows where 3 fletch also.

I know the two fletch works, but how is it documented or truly known to be an eastern style method?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: 2 fletch arrows?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 01:22:24 am »
The Grayson Collection at the University of Missouri, Columbia. They got loads of 'em.  You may be able to check them from the website, I know the curators there are willing to correspond with you if you have questions.

Encyclopedia of Native American Bows and Arrows, by Allely and Hamm.  They provide documentation of each of the various tribes and what museum of collection where they are held.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 07:11:21 pm »
It am pretty sure it was mention in the TBB series, and it was even used on the west coast as well. With 2 fletch you can get more arrows per bird and from my expierience it's pretty hard to tell the difference performance wise between the 2 and 3 fletch if they are made right. In todays world I would probably keep the feathers taller than they did back then for better performance over longer range.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 10:49:31 pm »
NC, found ya some examples of the eastern 2 fletch from eastern tribes but the site wont accept them.....sorry. There's examples from Algonkan, Cree, Creek, Chocktaw, Seminole, Cherokee and others........if ya want 'em let me know and I can E-mail them to you. ( they are from samples at the Peabody Museum, Harvard. )
rich

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 11:49:10 pm »
Rich, I tried searching the museum but couldn't find anything. If you could send me the links to  nclonghunter@msn.com   I would appreciate it.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 11:53:22 pm »
Just now caught your answer, will send the direct link and the pics as well. Check yer emails later.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 12:03:00 am »
them are waitin on ya bud!!!!!
rich