Author Topic: 'solstice' bamboo/ipe...chrono results added  (Read 6868 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: 'solstice' bamboo/ipe
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 09:15:43 pm »
The last one I did I got the glue up from David Knight. But I had him glue it up with a lot of recurve into it. It was tricky to tiller but kept a lot of the recurve after shooting it. If I remember right it was 64# and did win BOM last year, called Tickled pink.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: 'solstice' bamboo/ipe
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 11:46:52 am »
I've been waiting for a rain free day to put some arrows though the chono, so thought I'd post the results for those who may be interested. Was hoping to get over 180fps, but only managed an av. of 170-175fps. I dont have much experience of chrono shooting and i am always scared  of shooting the machine ( after I clipped the edge once.....pretty scary ) so I reckon it is possible  someone else could have got more,,, but anyway... fast enough for me
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

blackhawk

Re: 'solstice' bamboo/ipe...chrono results added
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 11:55:48 am »
How heavy of an arrow were you shooting?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 03:04:18 pm »
Blackhawk, my arrows are around 500grains,

Mullet, I tried to find 'tickled pink" to take a look, but couldnt,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 03:08:26 pm by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 10:03:37 am »
  Very nice bow Dragon, I can guarantee you that your bow will shoot over 180 fps with that arrow. You may not have gotten a good shot off. I have found that at 28" draw about 2 1/2" to 3" reflex seems to be optimimum for a 27" draw like your a little more like 3 1/2 to 4" might be optimimum. Again, beautiful job! Steve

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 03:11:53 pm »
thanks  Steve for the compliments on the bow and the reflex advice I apreciate it coming from you, I know you have put a lot of work in to refinning bow design, I think I need to practice shooting through the chrono, if I'm going to use fps as a benchmark of efficiency.....

Dave Hook

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 05:10:09 am »
Dragon, when my well experienced bowyer friend shoots same bow/same arrow through the chrono he's always 5, 10 and more fps faster than me; same problem, sort of scared of hitting the thing...

PS: love the side profile of your bow!
Frank from Germany...

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 11:03:43 am »
I agree that your bow should be faster than that too with the mentioned mass,design,and draw weight and length . I mark an arrow at the bows draw so I know im hitting exactly its listed draw,and have someone watch me so that I know I hit it correctly. You could've been doing several things wrong. Like short drawing. It really is hard to wacth the mark on your arrow and make sure at the same time you don't shoot your chrono. Again..your BBI rocks man :D

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 12:34:25 pm »
I bought the chrono thinking it would give me an absolute indication of bow efficiency, but I quickly realized it was more down to how you shot through it, so I havent really used it much. Your right Blackhawk I appear to have unconsciously shortened my draw. I used to shoot 60lb, but I have been shooting weaker bows lately and what with getting older, maybe ,....think I've lost some strength as well. Time to pull it all back together......