Author Topic: Bamboo, Cane, Carbon equivalent Question  (Read 1597 times)

Offline coaster500

Bamboo, Cane, Carbon equivalent Question
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:17:08 pm »
I just started building selfbows in August of this year and would now like to try and put together some arrows. The two bows I've built so far shoot Gold Tip Carbon 3555 (I know Carbon :(  ) arrows full length with 200 grains up front.

My question is I'm thinking about starting with bamboo or Tonkin cane for my first arrows, what spine would I need to be close to the 3555's ?

Thank you

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo, Cane, Carbon equivalent Question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:28:32 pm »
Before starting to make these cane arrows forget everything you know about carbon arrows. Its like mixing oil and water!  ::)
  The only spining I do with cane arrows is to find the stiff side of the shaft. That goes against the bow. Pick out canes of similar size(approx. 3/8" at the big end) and get them straight. Cut the shafts from the canes and cut them long(at lease 30" for 28" draw). Do a final straightening and tempering on them and let them rest for a few hours at least to cool completely(do this after each straightening session too). Now find the stiff side and cut the nock accordingly. If I'm adding a practice point I will taper the end and mount the point so the arrow spins true. When that is accomplished, fletch and shoot. If one or two don't shoot well, flip them over(cock feather in) and try again. This usually does the trick. If it still doesn't shoot well, remove the fletching and add a flufly fletch.  ;D
  If I'm hafting trade or stone points I slot the point end the same direction as the nock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 01:37:18 pm »
Thanks Pat.... I'm assuming that you don't get as good of flight with cane as you do with other materials or does cane have properties that make it more spine tolerent?

I have Zero experience in this department :)

The only bamboo arrows I've assembled, I used flu flu's that would have sucked a semi straight in flight.....
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 01:49:59 pm »
I get very good arrow flight with cane. They are more spine tollerant than other shafting.
  I saw that Art B (Art Butner) posted on your thread on TG. Listen to what Art says. Lots of us learned about cane and hardwood shoot arrows from Art. He is a master at it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline coaster500

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 03:31:04 pm »
Thank you for the help...  I'll see what I can do :)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 07:58:12 pm »
Looks to me like you've heard from two of the finest already !
Sit up and take notice to what they said !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 01:40:53 am »
With modern you can make anything possilble,. With Primitive you have to work for it...but it is possible!   8)

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:14:34 pm »
While there are some gorgeous arrows made from commercial shafting, I just LOVE shooting cane arrows. There's plenty of love built into each one, and as stated above, the spine doesn't have to be perfect. As a matter of fact, virtually every cane arrow I've made will shoot within a 8" paper plate (or better) at 20 yards out of the same bow. I've found that those that don't, usually require a touch more straightening. Add to that, they just look cool. 8) My next venture is making up some two fletch arrows!

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 10:41:45 pm »
I have to agree. I love the cane. I know the ones I make and shoot, have a spine variation of more than 10# on some. And like Tom said above, group sweetly
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:33:13 am »
 I shoot cane and boo also. I also have carbons. it is very hard to tell the difference between my cane/boo arrows that Art Butner and Chris Cade made that are splined for my 125 grn points and whatever width of the handle of my bow or center shot bow,than carbon arrows.

Sorry Pat, but I know those two are more precise when it comes to making arrows than you and me are.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:47:36 am »
Son't be sorry, Eddie. It is a fact!  ;) They are the Master and Grasshopper.  ;D

Offline aero86

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 01:14:24 am »
aint it the truth that a lot of love goes into one shaft.  especially if you cut your own!   i think its more fun too.  i havent done it in a long time, or even shot my bow :(

i shoot river cane as thats what grows around here.  from stalking the shoots through the stand, to watching them dry oh so slowly in the corner.  to straighten them once, twice, three times! then smoothing them and straightening again sometimes.  then, fletching them by hand, to shooting them at something.  its always great to see them stuck in the target the first time!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.