Author Topic: starting a bow  (Read 1363 times)

Offline maddog314

starting a bow
« on: January 05, 2012, 01:53:44 pm »
Hello all,
           I am going to start my first journy into bow making. I have an oak board that is cut out,  and I have some hickory for backing.
my question is this, will it be okay to flip the tips on this bow, and when is the best time to do this (before tilllering or after)?
Also, will it be nessesary to back the bow again with rawhide or sinew? Along with these ?'s I also need to know about paints to use if I end up putting desighns on it. Thank you all!

Maddog

Offline Slackbunny

Re: starting a bow
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 04:21:50 pm »
I'm no expert, but I believe that you are supposed to flip the tips after you have roughed it out, but before you tiller. Can I get confirmation on that?

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 04:48:00 pm »
MD, if you are going to make a backed board bow (oak backed w/ hickory) you will need to form the core wood first (steam bend or heat bend the flipped tip profile) then glue your backing on. I usually do this when the stock is still full width.....because when you cut out the front profile you will have cleaner joint lines.  Option two is for you to glue up the backing strip and clamp it to a form so that it cures into the correct shape. In either case it will be easier if you do it at the very beginning.

You should only need one type of backing, i.e. wood, cloth, sinew, etc. Any kind of paint will work on a wooden bow, as will various stains, and primative finishes (like charcoal and egg or charcoal and grease)....you do want the paint to be compatible with whatever finish you plan on using though.
rich

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 08:14:45 pm »
you can also glue a 5" piece on the back side of the tip and cut the flip in, if you use a contrasting color it look's sweet too, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹