Author Topic: Shorty  (Read 8439 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Shorty
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 12:31:36 am »
thanks tom and james . dictionary i dont notice finger pinch on my 50 to 55 inch bend thru the handles i think the design helps and im used to short bows . i usually try to leave tips slightly stiff although thats tough when u full draw one this short . need every inch workin on these. thanks for the comments and watch for cm trees to be trimmed up just before spring . most folks prune them

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 12:33:50 am »
thanks tom and james . dictionary i dont notice finger pinch on my 50 to 55 inch bend thru the handles i think the design helps and im used to short bows . i usually try to leave tips slightly stiff although thats tough when u full draw one this short . need every inch workin on these. thanks for the comments and watch for cm trees to be trimmed up just before spring . most folks prune them

Yea i bet, i still cant understand how you got 27 inches out of a 50 incher.

And thanks i'll have to look out for them.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 09:57:08 am »
i still cant understand how you got 27 inches out of a 50 incher.

Great bow wood + bendy handle + flawless tillering = low set in an unbacked short bow.  Ken is one of the best at it.  Lots of us are trying to emulate him.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline ken75

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 02:49:28 pm »
Dictionary i think its just pure hardheadedness , i just kept trying to make them shorter. 50 inches is about as short as i can make one and full draw it. good wood helps and tiller has to be right and you cant be afraid to break it. having said that their not for everyone

George your gonna make me blush. thanks though

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 05:00:56 pm »
Ok ken i have one more question. A common one for a shorty. i hope it hasnt been asked, feeling kind of lazy.

What about stack on this bow? And all of your short ones for that matter.  Have you found a way to compensate for that? Because i imagine stack is a prime suspect for deterring accuracy.

Also i got a 53.5 inch sapling here hoping to get 25 inches out of.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:23:10 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline ken75

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 11:09:04 pm »
dictinary stack and finger pinch being the same . bout the only thing u can do is leave ur tips slightly stiff. and make sure the handle doesnt bend too much. 25 out of a 53 is doable halfeye has made some 25 and 26 inch draws out of sub50 inch staves. what kind of sapling is it

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 12:38:02 am »
That's a whole lot of bend out of that splinter, Ken.  One more awesome midget bow in the books.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline ken75

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 04:04:13 pm »
thanks big jon , midgets need bows too

Offline half eye

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 04:18:11 pm »
I resemble that remark..... 8)
rich

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2012, 12:13:15 am »
dictinary stack and finger pinch being the same . bout the only thing u can do is leave ur tips slightly stiff. and make sure the handle doesnt bend too much. 25 out of a 53 is doable halfeye has made some 25 and 26 inch draws out of sub50 inch staves. what kind of sapling is it

Maple. Not sure what kind of maple down here in GA.

And leaving tips stiff can combat stack? Well i suppose this is due to the string angle theory again. Or is it factual and not just a theory.

-JW_Halverson

Offline ken75

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2012, 12:53:48 am »
maple in ga is probably sliver (soft) maple unless is north ga im not sure whats up there im in the southwest corner.as far as factual or theory i base my opinion on the work ive done , and while im  not an expert i feel comfortable in my experiance . ive built 107 bows with probably 70 percent being shorter than 55 inches. finger pinch and stack are caused by the same thing string angle . circular tiller or stiff tips reflexing or length will open string angle decreasing stack