Author Topic: Axe/Hatchet Sharpening  (Read 13426 times)

Offline ShinneryOak

Re: Axe/Hatchet Sharpening
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 07:35:16 pm »
Hey Dictionary, sounds like you're sharpening impaired like me! The no-brainer solution for me is the simple roller sharpener for axes from Fiskars. Works  like a charm. It's like a big version of the pocket knife sharpeners so you can't screw it up. Lowe's or Home Depot usually has them where the axes are. Works on my hatchet and machete too.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 07:49:31 pm »
Hey Dictionary, sounds like you're sharpening impaired like me! The no-brainer solution for me is the simple roller sharpener for axes from Fiskars. Works  like a charm. It's like a big version of the pocket knife sharpeners so you can't screw it up. Lowe's or Home Depot usually has them where the axes are. Works on my hatchet and machete too.

haha i could call myself that. I may have to consider this as well. Although it isnt too primitive  :laugh:

okie i dont have access to tools like that

Tom-i've seen his video on axe sharpening and i bought his book Bushcraft Essentials where he also writes on it. He uses a 3 stones of varying grits coarse,med,and fine. He makes it look so simple yet i can put my axe on a 2 sided stone for 20 minutes and end up with an even duller edge.

"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline triggerfinger

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 01:38:39 am »
I have this same problem, this is how I resolved it.  There are several sharpeners out there with guides that keep you working at the right angle.  One is made by gatco, one is a smith(saw this one at lowes today for $39) and the other is the most popular but I cannot for the life of me remember the name, i use the gatco.  Anyhow, you clamp a guide on your blade and the stone has an aluminum rod that goes through a hole in the guide and it keep s your stone at the right angle ( you can choose the angle based on application).  I can sharpen my D2 benchmade knives in a few minutes with one of these, and anyone who knows anything about steel knows D2 is tougher than woodpecker lips.  They will stay sharp under fairly constant use for a month, and will shave for probably 60 days before they get too dull.  I mostly cut tape and cardboard so results may vary, but you get the point.  I have a gerber axe, sharpened it with one of these kinda modified to fit the back of the axe head and it will do anything a pocket knife will do at this point, my shovel will too.

These things will get your tools STUPID sharp, if you lose a digit dont blame me.
I have nothing witty to say.......