Author Topic: First try at punch notching  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Will H

First try at punch notching
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:10:32 pm »
Well I decided to give punch notching a try after notching a few Lost Lakes with a hand flaker. I have to say punching is definately easier. I made the punch from a 7018 welding rod and used a small antler billett for the striker. My first try was a lost lake that ended up ok. then today I tried a calf creek/andice. I got it notched and decided it needed a tiny bit of touch up on the edge before I put it in my case....and POW  :-[  Off came the ear. Oh well, its just a rock and I got plenty more. At least I learned somethin. ::)  Anyway, for those of you who havent tried punch notchin YOU SHOULD. just get your preform thin at the base and go for it! Youll love it :)
~Will
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Jimbob

Re: First try at punch notching
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:19:13 pm »
Verry Cool Will!!  Sorry about the ear comin off, I wouldve cried. :'(
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 11:37:28 pm »
Dang Will, you're knocking out some real beauties!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:01:45 am »
I can tell that you have been making a lot of points.  In you last post your hand are telling a story of how hard you are knapping.  How many points have you made in Jan. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 01:53:45 am »
Dang nice point! Punching can be tricky but it can get you through some tough &  thick stone. Well done Will.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 01:59:11 am »
What is punch notching?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 02:28:00 am »
I wasn't going to get on this post tonight, takes too long to load pic, but saw it was Will and couln't resist.  Sweet work!!  Gonna wait til morrow to look @ the rest. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 09:06:48 am »
Very nice Will,to bad about the ear. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 01:01:31 pm »
Man! Your all over it Will! Couple more weeks and you probably will have all the points in that book made :D. Glad your having a blast with it and it shows - knap on!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:19:19 pm »
Thanks y'all! I'm startin to get the hang of it ;)

Iowabow- I knap everyday and usually make at least one point everyday soo... 24 or so. :) I got tired of makin hunting points so lately I've been expanding my horizons so to speak. It's really lit the fire for me.

Prarie Bowyer- punch notching is where you use a nail and a billet to strike the nail to make the notch. Sorta like a hammer and chisel. You should do a search in you tube for it to see it in action ;)

Coyboy- thanks Paul but I think it's gonna take more than a couple weeks ;) I'm workin on it. I really like the lost lake and calf creek types alot though. I wanna get better at them. The doves seem a little easier in comparison... I still need to perfect my hand fluting on Clovis points. Those are fun! And when u break em you get a real good start on a calf creek/andice preform. Gotta love it!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:33:49 am by Will H »
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 10:31:02 pm »
Atta boy!!!  You'll have it down in no time flat!

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline elremolino

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 06:42:42 pm »
That is a great job, Will. I know that when I started punching I became much more successful with notching points. Sometimes you will hear folks say that punch notching is too risky, but it is not. To me it is actually safer, especially on real deep notches. Keep at it!!!

Kinley