Author Topic: Boiled Linseed Oil and Linen backing?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
Boiled Linseed Oil and Linen backing?
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:53:41 pm »
Hi everyone,

I had a quick question - is there any reason that I would need to be concerned about using BLO on the entire linen backed bow? Is there something wrong with using BLO on the linen itself, or should I just keep it to the wood? I can't imagine it not getting on the linen, it would seep into it anyway over time. I just want to make sure that it's okay.

Thanks!
Jamie
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Boiled Linseed Oil and Linen backing?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 08:11:00 pm »
Jamie, there should be no problem using linseed oil on the linen backing unless you saturate it. If the glue saturated the linen it shouldn't take on extra linseed oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 12:13:55 am »
Excellent, thanks very much for this info. The glue was just a light layer, and I plan on applying the BLO very gently, with multiple thin layers, so I'll watch it carefully.

Thanks!
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:51:15 am »
You know, I had bad experience's with tung oil and linen backings. I had basically a shield of titebond between the oil and the linen, and it still soaked threw, making big dark discolored spots. It didn't look that bad, but it did soak threw.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair