Author Topic: live oak for bow staves?  (Read 8725 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
live oak for bow staves?
« on: January 10, 2012, 10:05:21 pm »
I can't seem to find it, now, but I thought I read, somewhere, that live oak was a pretty good bow wood. I heard red oak is so so, white oak is better, and live oak is even better. Can any of you tell me where it stacks up to some other popular woods? I know it doesn't compare with osage, but  how does is compare with hard maple, ash, hickory, etc.? The reason I am asking, is I have 2 large trees I may be cutting down soon and wondered if I should save some staves.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: live oak for bow staves?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:32:06 pm »
Live oak will work fine.  It's really tough, like hickory.  The main problem is finding a stave straight enough.  Then splitting it will be the next challenge. :o
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bcbull

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:39:29 pm »
i know ted fry ,,john struck use it a lot  ted sells it also on his web site iv nver tryed it yet but im fixin to somtime  brock

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 12:44:56 am »
I have 2 huge trees at my old house where my son lives. He wants to build a shop and will have to take them out if he does. Right now he has some big limbs that need pruning that grow out over his roof. I may start with a couple of them. Thanks for the info.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:00:15 am »
Is there any difference between the live oak that grows in the Southeast US and the live oak that grows in the West(Pacific coast)? I'm assuming the Texas live oak is the same as the SE US live oak.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 01:18:19 am »
If you run out of room for staves, I could store some for you at my place...... >:D ;D
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 04:53:58 am »
Live oak was well rated by 19th C. bowyer; James Duff. In his expert opinion only four north American hardwoods would make an good ELB: Yew, Osage, Hornbeam and Live Oak ;D.

Regards
James

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 02:11:22 pm »
Live oak works great as well as all the California oaks. I just made one out of black oak( a tipe of red oak in California

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 11:23:21 am »
Thanks for the feedback. After looking more closely at the trees/limbs, I will probably hire a professional. The limbs look to heavy to tackle on my own, but there are really some good straight sections worth saving.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 12:07:15 pm »
I need to find out more about oak. California has so many different types and I don't know anything about them. Need to split a few and see what's up!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)