Author Topic: sturgon skin prep  (Read 1461 times)

Offline steelslinger

sturgon skin prep
« on: January 11, 2012, 12:25:29 pm »
I should be getting some fresh sturgeon skins soon, and I want to be able to use them to back bows. The problem is that I have no idea how to prep or dry them for use one a bow. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Keenan

Re: sturgon skin prep
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 01:37:10 pm »
Steelslinger, Welcome to PA, I have done allot of sturgeon.  Drying in the easy part. Fleshing is then pain in the rear.  I will sometimes pressure wash for fleshing but you have to be carefull.  If fleshing by hand, then work from the center outward toward the edges. That way you are pushing with the cartilage rings instead of across them.  Once you get the skin fleshed, You will staple them down to a piece of plywood. First staple one end, then stretch and staple the other end. Then staple down one edge pulling a slight curve in the row of diamonds. That way when you staple down the other side it will be straight when you stretch it tight.  You want the staples no further apart then 1.5 inches. and as close to the edge as possible.  When dry you can cut inside the staples with a razor and roll up like a strip of rawhide.