Author Topic: 70# bow.  (Read 1774 times)

Offline DRon knife

70# bow.
« on: January 12, 2012, 03:53:54 pm »
This season I swore that I would make next seasons hunting bow and that's what I'm doing! I have hophornbeam to work with and I'm not settling for less than 65# but I want 70# plus!

I have a hhb stave that is 7' tall and 3" wide,so the sky's the limit!! My idea and what I'd like to do is make a broad limb bow(paddle type). I have a 31"draw so the extra length on the stave is intentional and I'm thinking re-curve to take up some of the draw as well. I want to center the arrow for greater accuracy and make an extra deep shelf or sight window too. I would like to make it the narrower type paddle and in exchange am willing to make it fatter,back it and or heat treat it...Idk ! So do you think my design idea is do-able?

I would appreciate any and all The help I can get,I've never worked with hhb,and really don't know the rules of that wood,I plan on posting this build in the 'build along' so do all you can to keep me from looking stupid PLEASE!! Thanx,Ron

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 70# bow.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:39:45 pm »
Your one bad dude Ron! I can pull 70# no problem. But hunting with it on a cold morning would kill me. I say 2" wide, 72" long and heat treated to get a 31" - 70# plus bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 06:41:46 pm »
I agree PD that's a lot of weight. Last year I hit a doe in the shoulder with a 50# bow and the arrow only penetrated  3",I eventually found her 300 yards away dead,she had fletching in her teeth. I DON"T want to do that again!!!I work out and I can handle it,commercial painters are tuff...lol !!

Thanx for your input,duly noted,Ron

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 06:50:59 pm »
Now you've done it! Your going to get a million reasons why #50 is enough. Have fun with your new build Ron.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 07:02:58 pm »
50# is plenty for a "good" shot,70# is better for a BAD one!! Thanx

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 07:05:17 pm »
Yup...don't hit shoulders ;)....going up in weight is going to make that more likely. If you can handle it no worries i'm not judging you.
As for design yes you can cut out a shelf etc but personally I would just make a grip that can only be held one way eg. have a reference point on it that either feels right or wrong and shoot off your hand. Cut out shelves aren't going to make a bow more accurate. Well spined arrows will fly perfectly well when matched to the bow. I only say all this because if you haven't made too many bows then these things just add to the difficulty.
For a 31 inch draw you could get away with 62 inch minimum with a bendy handle (doesn't sound like you would want that), or for a stiff handled bow around 70 is going to be about right. HHB is dense stuff so no need to go with especially wide limbs.  Heat treating work very well  with it.

Offline dbb

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 07:09:13 pm »
Im with DRon,even if 50# is enough it is fun to shoot heavy bows if you can manage them without pain or sacrificing your accuracy.
My main bow is at 65#.
Keep us posted how it progresses.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 07:29:24 pm »
Sweet man...I gotta primo prepped out HHB stave that's been sitting on the rack for over a year screaming to be 80lbs....soon she will be and ill be watching ya. Def heat treat it.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 07:58:57 pm »
I Have a 62# Fred Bear,lami-glass bow,The poundage didn't feel excessive to me so I'm gonna try 70#,If it proves to be to much I can tiller it down some.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 11:31:02 pm »
The last pic looks like there may be some twist bee careful you don't have to much runoff the cabnium will tell u a better  story ...looking forward to progress pics ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 01:38:00 am »
Thanx for the heads up Soy,The last 12" does twist a bit but its 7 feet long and I'm gonna trim that off.Ron

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 03:39:30 pm »
This morning I reduced the stave some and removed the extra foot at the end,I weighed it and she's 14llbs,I saw no reason not to put it in the drying box,so I did,when it loses 2lbs I'll take her down some more and maybe de-bark it,I'll play it by ear.Ron

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 10:24:09 pm »
Blackhawk,you make yours first then tell me how to do it.lol

dbb,I'm with you,shooting higher poundage IS fun!!

Mike,It was a 25 yard shot from the ground,I either pulled it or she turned slightly when I shot,I can't be sure but a bad shot is a bad shot all the same,lotta times you don't find a deer hit high or in the shoulder...lucky!!