Author Topic: Here's my 3 sets as of yet with my first quiver (pic heavy)  (Read 2519 times)

Offline jermcramp1

Here's my 3 sets as of yet with my first quiver (pic heavy)
« on: January 13, 2012, 11:56:48 am »
1st set I made. dowels from lowes, duct tape fletchings, 3 zwickeys and 1 homemade trade point from skillsaw blade single bevel.

I hunted with these in Oct before I broke my bow and had to switch back to wheels.

I was impressed with the tape!

I like the idea but the bamboo is a bit too small and only 2 maybe 3 arrows fit, so I will cut it down

I fugured out this cool way to wrap it, couldnt explain it if I tried

ogre foot

My 2nd set or arrows, bamboo shaft, 410 shels duplex nails, self nock

I'm gonna make my side quiver like this one, I like it better and I dont do much stalking anyway...yet.

My 3rd set just finished this week. bamboo shaft, .40 shells duplex nails, sinew wrapped fletchings, clear nail polish coated sinew with superglue soaked self nocks. these tips are a bit heavy i think but they are practice arrows anyway.

I attached the tips with hot glue and kinda shaped a tip on it but the glue stick too bad to the cardboard target and makes it hard to pull out.

I think I will leave the feathers full length since they are target arrows...for now, I may cut them down after I shoot them a bit.

Let me know what y'all think?
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline sadiejane

Re: Here's my 3 sets as of yet with my first quiver (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:33:24 pm »
good job!

how do they shoot?

making arrows is some work but very rewarding.

thanks for showing these!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:54:51 pm »
IT IS VERY TEDIOUS!

they all shoot great!!! (as far as I know Im still a noob at this tho)

the dowels were a bit stiff spined but they still hit the target at 15 yds.

the green and white ones are a bit tip heavy because of the hot glue, but they are 36", so if they are still good to go when the season opens I will chop them to 32" and add a 7" foreshaft, 3" in the boo 4" out, with the homemade trad points.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 02:20:20 pm »
You sure the dowel problems were spine and not the duct tape fletch?  Cool idea, but I'd think they'd really affect arrow flight.  I'd love to be wrong.  Your full length feather arrows are very nice flu-flus.  You can pick up some range by cutting them down, but your arrow flight with those babies has got to be great.

Looks like you're having great fun, just what primitive archery is supposed to be.  I like that quiver.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:50:46 pm »
but they are 36", so if they are still good to go when the season opens I will chop them to 32" and add a 7" foreshaft, 3" in the boo 4" out, with the homemade trad points.

Sorry, but the bowhunting instructor just jumped out of me on this...
If you are going to use these arrow hunting, PLEASE make them as you are going to use them when you hunt. What you are talking about will affect the spine and flight of the arrows.
As hunters, I feel we have the responsibility to kill (and make no mistake, that is what hunting is) as cleanly as possable. If you are used to shooting 1 type of arrow in practice and then change that arrow for hunting, you cannot be sure of hitting the same as with the practice.

Sorry to preach, but as I said, the old instructor in my just jumped up and started preaching.
Your arrows look a heck of a lot better than the first ones I ever made, good work.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 03:37:23 pm »
Good point Bevan, honestly hadnt thought about that...Ill melt the glue off and redo the tips without it...I appreciate the advice! I'm sure i'll end making another hnting set, and weight the tips to match. makes sense to me!

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 03:44:50 pm »
Gs- I think the DT fletch worked out ok, they dont last long cause the get all wrinkled up from hitting the rest but I was 8" or less groups at 15yds, NOT GREAT, but not bad I guess. beginner shooting and all..I got the idea from Dave Canturberry's yt vids. there's a few other people that used them too...I just needed something to shoot and didnt have any feathers yet...I dont shoot them anymore and would take feathers any day over them...

AND I LOVE IT!!!