Author Topic: some of my stuff  (Read 3349 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: some of my stuff
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 12:23:46 pm »
stefan
It is 67"/65lbs at 26". 1.5 wide gradual fade to 3/4. stiff handle. Had no problem tillering (use a dust mask!!!!!) It is not that heavy but it does have some hand shock. This is the only wenge i have done so i do not think i could give you a well rounded view. I would love to try more but it is expensive. For the money you could make 5 bows. Wenge with oil on it looks really good though!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 08:02:18 pm »
Very nice looking stack of bows there! Glad to have you around, Congrats on the baby on the way I have a second one on the way as well in a couple weeks or so. Thanks for shareing!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 08:09:33 pm »
stefan
It is 67"/65lbs at 26". 1.5 wide gradual fade to 3/4. stiff handle. Had no problem tillering (use a dust mask!!!!!) It is not that heavy but it does have some hand shock. This is the only wenge i have done so i do not think i could give you a well rounded view. I would love to try more but it is expensive. For the money you could make 5 bows. Wenge with oil on it looks really good though!

I have made a couple from wenge backed with hickory. I found it 'tears' easy, the splinters burn like a son-ofa-gun, it is shocky, so you might want to tiller more of a whip end than you normally would. But it makes a very pretty bow. and I will make more I am sure. I am lucky. I can get it at a lumber yard in Colorado. 4/4 boards. So the cost is not as bad.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 08:09:54 pm »
congrats elktracker! It seams a lot of younger guys with kids are on this site. I thought I was the only one who waited for a baby to fall asleep so I could hide in the garage!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 08:25:38 pm »
 ;D Haha Ya I hear ya im a stay at home dad by week and work weekends so I know what you mean im always waiting for that nap time! My boy is 2 1/2 years old and he doesnt always take naps now so my time in the shop has gone down drasticly. Plus when I try to make progress in the house my wife always finds wood chips i miss when cleaning up and I get a good talking to and thats puting it lightly! ;D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 10:53:59 pm »
Looks good !
Welcome aboard !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Keenan

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 11:41:28 pm »
Welcome to our community Paul. As Pat said you will fit right in with this bunch. Those are some very nice bows and staves Good detail work.  Just be careful cause showing pics like that on this site may solicit  a rush of people wanting to trade you out of them staves and bows and arrows and ,,, And thus sparking another madness that is a form of hoarding and collecting more wood then you can ever possibly use. :o :o :o  My wife just read this and said Ah ha! I knew you were hoarding!    :o :o >:D

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 11:44:35 pm »
Welcome to the site....Great looking bows there...You will fit right in around here...looking forward to seeing more of your work..
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 04:45:58 am »
Yes Sir,

Welcome, Nice looking Wood you have there.

I too have a lot of Baby Duty... but it washes off... :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 09:41:13 am »
Welcome,looks like a bunch of good stuff. :) :) a man can't have to much stuff. :) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good