Author Topic: Bow staves needed (with pics of trade point.)  (Read 5642 times)

Offline Stingray45

Re: Bow staves needed (with pics of trade point.)
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 01:09:26 pm »
That trade point at the top is awesome looking. I like how it creates a serrated blade. How much do they way approximately?

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline aaron

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 01:37:46 pm »
steeelslinger- you should get in touch with CMB (above)- he is a great guy and generous with his trades!(thanks again carson) That rock IS obsidian, glass buttes rainbow by the look of it- however it doesn't look like it would be good for knapping. I also have some staves, and I live out at the coast- but CMB is closer to where you live. Collecting bowstaves is as simple as driving out to the coast range (tillamook state forest) and looking for some vine maple. vine maple dries fast and makes a good beginner bow wood. It's plentiful and fairly easy to ID by it's smooth green bark with moss covering it.
good luck!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 06:31:11 pm »
I am in contact with CMB. I do not have a bunch of money so a trip to the beach is hard to swing, but I do plan on trying to collect some bow woods myself  this year.  Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the kind words. That trade point is 185gr but I can easily make it 125gr. I will definitely make a set for myself to hunt with.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 12:48:31 am »
Steelslinger, did you get that ash stave turned into a bow yet? ;)  I just picked up some nice ocean spray today, couple full length staves and a pair of stout billets.

No prob Aaron. I am glad that bow is working out for you. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 03:40:19 am »
It is roughed out. I bought a spokeshave and a heat gun, and will work on it some more this week. I will bring it next time I see you.