Author Topic: Osage Twin Oaks Bow in Progress  (Read 7369 times)

Offline _Jon_

Osage Twin Oaks Bow in Progress
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:25:32 pm »
I’m working on a new Osage bow.  I built one last month for my brother  Dan, and so I started another one for myself.  I don’t own an Osage bow at the moment.  It’s kinda like most of the things I build, I tend to pass em along to friends.  With the help of Pappy and Gary Davis I have this one looking ok so far.  It’s really lucky for me I can do my bow building at Twin Oaks.  All that knowledge hanging around in one place is a wonderful thing for someone new to building bows such as myself.   This one I hope to sinew back and then start looking around for a set of skins. 

Anyhow I figure I’d show you how it’s going so far.  Working towards a 47-49# @ 27”  It’s currently 62 TTT and 60” ntn.

Thanks for looking.

Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline _Jon_

Re: Osage Twin Oaks Bow in Progress
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:26:46 pm »

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:27:20 pm »

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:27:53 pm »

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 05:28:38 pm »

Offline nlester

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:51:39 pm »
Looking good so far.  Does Gary know anything about building bows??  :o  You're a lucky man to have all that knowledge around.  Might I ask, what is the notching in the handle all about?

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 06:02:34 pm »
With the way the back of the bow was if you tried to straighten it with heat you'd break it at the fades, so when you cut it that way and put in a splice you control where and how much it will travel.  Gary was showing Pappy and I how to do it, because we've run into that before and never tried his method.  It worked like a charm.  I'll get a finished picture of how it sanded and turned out.  It's a neat technique.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 06:04:19 pm »
If you look in this picture you'll see just how much the back of the bow humps out at the fades and handle area.  Look at the bow where it's at the jaws of the vice and I think you'll see what I mean.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 06:06:01 pm »
With the way the back of the bow was if you tried to straighten it with heat you'd break it at the fades, so when you cut it that way and put in a splice you control where and how much it will travel.  Gary was showing Pappy and I how to do it, because we've run into that before and never tried his method.  It worked like a charm.  I'll get a finished picture of how it sanded and turned out.  It's a neat technique.

Has anyone ever tried this but using some contrasting wood? I can see some real interesting possabilities here.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:44:19 pm »
Gary done a Hickory for me 7 years ago and I put Osage in the to contrast it.  He did it again for me and Pappy because I didn't watch as closely the first time around.   ;D

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 08:07:43 pm »
Looking real good so far..  It would be cool to put a purple heart or paduak insert in the riser to spice it up...  ;D ;D

Jon

Offline gmc

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 08:51:32 pm »
Well I be darn. Never thought about the wedge trick.....

Very nice looking bow so far.

That's gona make a good one.
Central Kentucky

Offline Will H

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 03:18:57 am »
Im glad to see you posted this one John! That wedge trick needed to be shared. I think its gonna turn out to be a sweet shooter for ya buddy. To bad we'll be workin to hard splittin wood this weekend to get work done on it  ;D   ;)
~Will
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 05:29:23 am »
Yeah your right Will.  I might get an hour or so early on Friday but Saturday's a meeting working day for Twin Oaks. 

Pappy will have us all breaking wood and loading and stacking from dawn till dusk.   ;D

That fella just sure does like to see a man get an honest days work in let me tell ya.  I never seen a man shame so many grown men into getting back to work on the quick time like he does.  He won't say a word but he'll start to stacking and sweating and in about 10 seconds you see everyone throwing wood and breaking back once again.  I tell ya it's priceless to watch it happen.  You said last weekend to me a man couldn't pay to have as much fun as we do, and I've got to agree.

See ya at the farm. and bring your gloves this time.  That splinter what went under your nail was sure enough funny to watch you pull out.  Nothing worse then a splinter 3/4 of an inch under your nail to bring out the laughter. >:D   

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 06:53:33 am »
Looking good Jon,you will get there ,slow and steady. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good