Author Topic: Del's MR Copy  (Read 33281 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Del's MR Copy
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 07:54:19 am »
@Bow toxo
The guy I built it for wanted 28" draw. I'm sure it would come back further. I tested it on the tiller to 29", with those two big bad knots I didn't want to risk it further unecessarilly.
I'm drawing it as far as I can! :'( I'm not a youngster anymore... >:(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 03:39:04 pm »
@Bow toxo
The guy I built it for wanted 28" draw. I'm sure it would come back further. I tested it on the tiller to 29", with those two big bad knots I didn't want to risk it further unecessarilly.
Del

Del's memory may be hazy, but he has oft related when his mum held him in her arms as they waved from shore watching the Mary Rose set sail....

>:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012, 05:09:03 pm »
@Bow toxo
Del

Del's memory may be hazy, but he has oft related when his mum held him in her arms as they waved from shore watching the Mary Rose set sail....

>:D
LMAO  :laugh:
Del

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 10:01:31 pm »
@Bow toxo
Del
  I know what you mean. 90# at 29" would be too much for me these days. I posted before reading your other postings. I would not have thought that anyone wanting a Mary Rose replica would be doing Victorian shooting, but maybe he planned to make the shorter Mary Rose arrows which must have been shot oiut of the bows that were found.

Erik

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 02:16:15 am »
@Bow toxo
Del
  I know what you mean. 90# at 29" would be too much for me these days. I posted before reading your other postings. I would not have thought that anyone wanting a Mary Rose replica would be doing Victorian shooting, but maybe he planned to make the shorter Mary Rose arrows which must have been shot oiut of the bows that were found.

Erik

A reasonable assumption unless the shorter arrows were fitted with long bodkin heads and the arrow drawn past the shoulder of the bodkin, as was demonstrated by Alanesq and is, I believe, mentioned on his site.

Craig.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 01:56:11 pm »
how much and where are thsoe oregon billets?

Offline druid

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 05:06:59 pm »
Great bow Del! I am sure this bow could be drawn further.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 02:51:52 am »
How is Yew to work?  Is it soft, hard?  stinky? 

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 03:35:25 am »

It's more soft than hard. It is really beautiful to work with. a real pleasure. more so than any other woods I have tried. There is no stink, but the dust is said to be poisonous.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 03:18:59 pm »
The heartwood is crisp, but still pretty soft.
The sapwood is softer by comparison, say if you think of an apple with a nice piece of cheese the heart is the apple the sap the cheese.
Dmn, that's made me hungry now.
Del

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 07:32:01 pm »
A reasonable assumption unless the shorter arrows were fitted with long bodkin heads and the arrow drawn past the shoulder of the bodkin, as was demonstrated by Alanesq and is, I believe, mentioned on his site.

Craig.

I'm trying to think why there would be very long bodkins fitted to the shorter shafts.  I'm aware they were used for fire arrows but they couldn't be over-drawn.  I know Alan and respect his analytical mind but never subscribed to his theory on this.  Common sense, to me, would dictate that a longer shaft is a far easier and cheaper way to achieve a longer draw length if that was the aim.  What are your thoughts on the theory?

Jeremy

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 12:31:28 am »
Question:  What does a Yew Self bow such as this one run?  I have no idea.  I want to say I saw a price pushing 2K U.S. once. 

Offline adb

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 04:08:51 am »
$1000 is not an unreasonable price for a warbow weight yew self bow.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 05:23:07 am »
Price depends if the bowyer is doing it as a business with all the associated overheads or doing it for the love of it for a few people who take the trouble to visit using using materials sourced very cheaply (or free).
Del

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 11:32:52 am »
Quote from: Yeomanbowman link=topic=30201.msg412617#msg412617
Craig.[/quote

I'm trying to think why there would be very long bodkins fitted to the shorter shafts.  I'm aware they were used for fire arrows but they couldn't be over-drawn.  I know Alan and respect his analytical mind but never subscribed to his theory on this.  Common sense, to me, would dictate that a longer shaft is a far easier and cheaper way to achieve a longer draw length if that was the aim.  What are your thoughts on the theory?

Jeremy

Ascham said that the draw is to the barbs or the shoulder of the head. I think that the theory that the draw would be unnecessarily extended to the tapered socket is runaway speculation.