Author Topic: What Trees Are These?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Dictionary

What Trees Are These?
« on: January 22, 2012, 12:50:23 pm »
I'm awful at identification. I got a couple of books from the library that kinda help me. But hopefully the board can help. I'm located in northeast GA 25 miles from Atlanta. I don't have great access to wooded areas i can simply walk out back to. I have to ride my bike about 2 miles to these woods and some near the backend of my neighborhood. Both hold what i think are maples,large oaks, poplars,pines, willows and others common ones. I haven't been able to identify ashes, hickories, or elms. Then again i'm not too good at identifying. Pics aren't that great but i hope some can see it.

Tree #1 i can't even guess this one.

Tree #2 I'm guessing this is sycamore. but i am unsure. It can be really knotty. Pretty soft. UnderBark is green when it begins to peel. Real bark is brownish,green, greyish,....

Last One #3 I'm guessing is a birch. Not sure though. I thought it was paper birch but i read it doesn't really grow in the south here in GA much unless planted as an ornamental. I'm guessing this is river birch...idk.

And some pics of the woods i am in. Quite swampy after it rains. its been cut through like that by some forest agency or something i dont know why. Its off to the side of a road. I don't have access to true undisturbed wooded areas but i use what i can.

Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline toomanyknots

Re: What Trees Are These?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 01:07:32 pm »
Your definitely right about the sycamore. Thats all I know for sure though.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:00:02 pm »
the first tree looks like wild cherry...but i can't see any 'give away' horizontal lines. The straight trunk and leaves look like cherry too.

possibly wild plum? but plum grows different here in Oklahoma where it seems to grow in clumps branching low, kinda thorny and rarely has straight trunks.
here are two trunk shots first cherry, then plum

when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »
#1 is Beech, #2 is Sycamore and #3 is a Birch but I'm not well versed in all the Birch types.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Nifty

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 02:31:55 pm »
I'm in NE Atlanta area too! :)

The first one is Beech. The winter leaves are the giveaway, they're beautiful trees all year and make great yard shade trees.

#2 is definitely sycamore.

#3 is River birch. I have one in my front yard :)
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 03:03:46 pm »
Beech, sycamore and river birch is what I was thinking too but if that is seed pods in your hand in the one pic It might be HHB. The bark doesn't look right for beech either. Beech has a smooth, grayish bark. That bark is broken.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline davkt

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 03:07:13 pm »
Yep, was wondering if if you had beech your side of the pond when I saw the the first one, leaf buds of that are very tasty in the spring as well!

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 03:13:03 pm »
So that is definitiely sycamore and the last definitely a birch. These two grow very very abundantly in diameters of less than 4 inches which is what i am looking for since i have to transport these home by carrying them  :laugh:. I've read sycamore isn't too good of a wood, but it could produce a 45# bow with 70 inches in length bending throughout its length i hope? I don't think i'll use the river birch because it is EXTREMELY knotty. I can't find a peice with less than 10 knots on it. Then again sycamore is a bit knotty especially on smaller diameter peices.

What about the beech? Is it a good wood? I have a 55 inch long peice. The wood splits very poorly with "interlocking grain" i think is the term and can split crookedly kind of like the maple i have around here. So i'd probably stick to 2in diameter and less so i'd avoid having to split it. Then again i looked it up and the bark doesn't really resemble a beech.....idk though

Thanks again to everyone for the help. I'd like to utilize what is "locally available" which is where i don't have to travel 5 miles to and carry wood 5 miles back.I've tried that and bout killed myself on my bicycle haha. I probably should have gotten my car license instead of my motorcycle license first  :P. I haven't tried bringing wood back on my motorcycle, maybe i'd have luck doing it that way  :laugh: just kidding

Got 2 Sycamores and CrapeMyrtle roughed out today. Lengths 66,65,& 71 inches in length. Full Compass tiller 45#@27inches is what im aiming for when they dry and get tillered. The Sycamores are full of knots.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:54:43 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson