Author Topic: Hickory woes... Input needed..  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Hickory woes... Input needed..
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:15:31 pm »
I was roughing out a narrow hickory stave today that I split off the side of another... the stave is only about 50" long by an inch wide...Was planning on making a little bendy handled bow pulling 45# at 23".  I know that this is not an optimum width for hickory, but I know that some native bows were this width and I didn't have much choice as far as my stave went...  My main problem is about 2/3rds of the way down one limb there is a dark colored spot that will be exposed when I reach final dimensions. It appears on both sides of the stave so I am afraid that it goes all of the way through... The top of this spot is only about 5/16ths of an inch from the bows back, so I know that I can't avoid it... Should I proceed with this piece of wood, or should I scrap it? The pics show the spot on both sides... Any input would be welcome... Thanks.

Jon

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Hickory woes... Input needed..
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:06:13 pm »
I think you have a difficult stick there !
I would move on but Hickory is plentiful around here !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:21:46 am »
I'd go for it. You've got nothing to lose but your time.
One of my favorite teachers used to say "You never know how fast you can corner until you wipe out."
Use the stick to learn just how far you can push a defect like that and or how to work around it. I love a challenge though.

Certainly put a whole bunch of sinew on the back.
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:55:35 am »
Proceed and learn ;)

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 12:56:39 pm »
If the spot runs from side to side and is oriented near the belly why not try,I would worry more if it affected the tension,I have been surprised by by how much hickory can take(love the stuff)!! Hey good luck and do tell,Ron

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 01:54:48 pm »
I think you have a difficult stick there !
I would move on but Hickory is plentiful around here !
Guy

Yup, thats my vote as well. If it was all I had, I would carry on and see what happens. If I had a pile of wood to work on I would toss her in the corner.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 02:17:30 pm »
Haha.. In the comer it goes... I got othe wood to work on and I'll save this for one of those really boring days..... If I ever get it done I'll keep you posted...

Jon