Author Topic: How did they cut horn and antler?  (Read 7713 times)

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
Re: How did they cut horn and antler?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 09:52:36 am »
I would like to see it done that way. Anyone know a vid?
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 10:45:52 am »
Wolf try "The Sheep Eaters: Archers of the Yellowstone"  In there you will see Tom Lucas actually soften the horn by heated water, than cut with obsidian.  In fact, he sands down the horn with sand stone.  Hope this helps

Offline dwardo

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 12:50:22 pm »
And antler is only dead bone after all.
Hmmm I don't think so....but I'm not sure.
Anyone like to opine on this? Obviously Horn isn't bone but is Antler????
I'm confused.
Del

Antler and horn i am pretty sure is the same stuff that hair is made from, Keratin.
Certainly stinks like burning hair/teeth. Have been grinding away some overlays recently and it really gets up my nose, litteraly.

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 01:05:06 pm »
I think horn is made of keratin and antler is dead bone. I don't know, maybe I'll ask my biology professor tomorrow because we are actually talking about bone right now  ;D 
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 01:20:42 pm »
I've viewed the Sheepeater's video.  Indeed, Tom does use only obsidian and sandstone to do his horn work.  He boils them in the hot spring before removing the strip. 2cents.  I like the video, just wish it was longer.  He wanted it to be, he said.
1’—>1’

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 01:29:18 pm »
I've viewed the Sheepeater's video.  Indeed, Tom does use only obsidian and sandstone to do his horn work.  He boils them in the hot spring before removing the strip. 2cents.  I like the video, just wish it was longer.  He wanted it to be, he said.

Have the video as well Parnell and also wish it were WAY longer and a bit more detailed.  Wonder if a group of us could talk him into filming a more complete video on his process?  Maybe he could charge $10 or so for a copy (I'd pay that easily)  I know he is a busy artist but if he has a passion for this art form maybe an appeal from an interested group would sway him...

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Patches

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 04:09:36 pm »
Horn is keratin.  Antler is bone.  When in velvet, antlers have a good blood supply and are growing, so by that, antler is not "dead" bone.  The blood veins are in the velvet.  When the blood ceases to flow to the antlers, the velvet is shed.  If you have ever seen a deer that is shedding the velvet, the antlers are red because there is still an small amount on blood in the velvet.  After the velvet is gone, the antlers can't grow anymore.  When antler growth begans again in mid winter, it causes the existing antlers to drop off or shed, allowing the new antlers to grow. 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 06:03:46 pm »
Interesting thought Lee.  Dunno how he would feel about it - I spoke with him on the phone for a bit when ordering that video and he did talk about it initially supposing to be longer.  I can understand why he wouldn't want to just YouTube it all out if he spent so much time unravelling the questions on his own...OK - I'm stopping, don't want to hijack things.
1’—>1’

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 07:39:31 pm »
you're not hijacking parnell, this thread is very informative. I appreciate all input.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 12:32:15 am »
If you soak antler in water for about a week, it gets very soft, about like a really dense cheese.  It can be cut with a denticulated stone blade pretty easy then.  Obsidian is not avery good stone for working antler, cherts are much better, they are a lot stronger and are less brittle.  I haven't done anything with horn but it is the same material but it has more oil in it, according to a friend who has worked it.  Hoof will also soften up if you soak it.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 11:58:52 am »
Having done some, I can tell you that soaking horn is not enough by itself. Boiling does make a huge difference. I used obsidian, and as was mentioned, it isn't the best because the edge crumbles to easily. Harder stone is absolutely better. I am a long way from finishing the bow, so maybe I will try some video when I get time to work on it. It will be an abo bow. Stone blades, sandstone and wood. Sanding horn with sandstone is actually really effective.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 01:20:48 pm »
Justin, I would absolutely love to see any video or pics of your project.  What species of horn are you using?
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 03:54:08 pm »
Justin, I would absolutely love to see any video or pics of your project.  What species of horn are you using?
Bison. I have been trying to gather as much info on the original as possible. I have been cutting with the edge of the blade, but I can see how the drill might make it easier. It takes a long time to work through horn with stone. I made some clay pots to boil the horn over a wood fire. Been collecting bison sinew whenever possible. Even planted a sapling to grow the right species of wood.  ;) I have 3/4 of the horn done, but it has been sitting for over a year, so by the time I get all of the horn processed the tree will be plenty large. Hopefully this spring/summer I will have time to get back to it and finish it. I will try to get video of the whole process when I do the rest of the horn.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 05:32:28 pm »
That sounds like an awesome project bud...are you cutting the bison horn spirally then?  I bought a pair off flebay and tried to do the cut/build like it was featured in a back issue of PA but pretty much ruined the horn with my bandsaw and couldn't get it straight or flat enough.  I'd like to try again but have a pair of Aoudad & Gemsbok horns I am considering ruining first  >:D

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 06:20:42 pm »
Lee, Im cutting several per limb then butting them up against each other. I had never seen the spiral cut until recently. Im not saying it wont work, but when I am done the horn will match the natural profile it grew in, meaning the natural curl up from the skull will go the same direction as the reflex of the bow. You wouldnt take a reflexed bow and steam it to another shape so it was reflexed another direction, so why do it to horn. Just doesn't seem right to me, but I am a simple minded person.  :-\

Projects of this size tend to get put on the back burner fairly often, but it hasn't been put on the shelf.

SW Utah