Author Topic: Chewing Sinew for Fletching  (Read 7721 times)

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
Chewing Sinew for Fletching
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:46:53 am »
Guys, when you chew sinew, you are rehydrating it with your spit? Are do you rehydrate it with water and then chew it? And when you're chewing it, how hard do you chew? And how do you know when you should stop chewing? Also while it's in your mouth should you maneuver is so that it doesn't get all balled up in there?   
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Chewing Sinew for Fletching
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:34:00 am »
I chew dry sinew to soften and rehydrate it. You will know when it is ready to work. It gets quite soft and pliable. You are not trying to grind the sinew up like it is food. Basically you want to "work" it until it softens.
  Your saliva and the sinew makes its own glue. When I use it for fletching(only on the front and rear of the fletching) I don't use any glue. I wrap the sinew tight and when it dries seal the wrap but use no glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:49:09 am »
I do like Pat,but I will say you ant likely to chew it up,it is tough,if I am doing arrows I put several strand in my mouth and chew on them while I am working,I pull the out as I need them. Much quicker and better in my opinion than just soaking in water. :) I know some will disagree but I have done it both ways and it is much much better for me.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:18:26 pm »
WPT, it softens up pretty quick if you have it in pretty thin pieces.  I don't really chew on it, but rather roll it around and press it between my front teeth and tounge w/ spit, not the molars.  Might make you gag a little getting started, but stick w/ it, you'll get used to it.  Make sure it is hammerd and in strands, not a whole piece of tendon.   ;) good luck, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 03:20:03 pm »
Chewing a whole tendon would be a good mouth work out :o ;D

As said above it works really well and you'll know when it's ready. It's fun when you find a bit of a strand a week later.... :D

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 04:10:35 pm »
A whole tendon would even be quite a job for my dog lol
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 05:13:27 pm »
my german shepherd can chew up and swallow a deer leg tendon in less than 2 minutes!!!! so do not leave them out or you may come back to nothing.

Offline WolfPupTee

• The Artis Den
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 07:36:19 pm »
my joshy poshy is a dainty eater lol. But he did goggle up the remainder of my sinew glue one day when I wasn't looking, but he looked sooo innocent.  ::)
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 07:44:35 pm »
All the sinew scrap from butchering deer used to go in a pot with a small amount of water.  I'd simmer it a few hours with a lid on nice and tight.  Then I'd pour it on a cookie sheet and let it gel nicely before slicing into small cubes.  Venison flavored Knox Blox for doggie treats.  My old Scully used to love them.  I think it helped her with her arthritis in the later years too since sinew and cartelidge is so good for them. 

I've had friends come home to find their favorite sinew backed bows gnawed to flinders by their beloved pups.  Careful how much sinew and hideglue you allow a dog, they can get a little vaporous later!

Don't ask me how I know that.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 11:01:22 pm »
When yall tie the sinew wrapping on feathers do you use the loop wrap over and tuck through the loop to pull back under method?
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 12:50:24 am »
That is the way I was taught, not w/ sinew though.  Then I learned to serve a bow string and now I sometimes use that method.  serving method works w/ the full fletch wrap.  I wrapped a nock and hafted a point lastnight w/ sinew and used the way you mentioned.  Sometimes when I use the loop way one of the pcs. breaks cuz I wrapped too tight, that doesn't seem to happen to me as much w/ the serving way.  dpg

edit, the more i think about this, i sometimes just wrap and wrap and super glue.  ???
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:00:33 am by bowtarist »

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 01:57:01 am »
When I use it for fletching(only on the front and rear of the fletching) I don't use any glue. I wrap the sinew tight and when it dries seal the wrap but use no glue.

Pat, what do you seal it w/? I've got one all natural arrow finished tonight and it was every thing I had not to use super glue to seal it. dpg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 02:25:40 am »
On my primitive arrows I use pitch varnish to seal the sinew wraps and the shafts sometime too.  The pitch varnish is just hard brittle pitch dissolved in denatured alcohol then strained and kept in an air tight jar.
 I don't tie off sinew wraps. I wrap the chewed sinew tight and when I get to the end I lay it down and smooth it into the other sinew. When it dries you can't find the end and it is tighter then when you wrapped it.  ;)
 Give it a day or two in dry conditions and it is ready for the pitch varnish sealer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 12:03:44 pm »
I make something similar out of bee propolis.  I've got some made, I'll try that.  How long does it take the pitch to disolve?  It takes a few day for the propolis w/ lots of shaking each day.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 12:19:19 pm »
Depends on how big the chunks of pitch are. If you break the pitch down into small pieces only a few hours.