Author Topic: Tillering Tree W/o Power Tools?  (Read 6918 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Tillering Tree W/o Power Tools?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 07:57:28 am »
Doesn't anyone use a hand drill anymore?
If you have a stud wall, you can drill into wood perfectly well with an hand drill.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand%20Tools/Carpenters%20Tools/Hand%20Drill/d10/sd150/p20242
You can even punch into concrete or brick with a simple steel rod filed  across the end into a cross to make 4 points, hit the back end with a club hammer rotate 90 regrees, repeat until you get deep enough. Beer helps lubricate the process.
Del
(This is primitive archer? Right?)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 04:50:57 pm »
Ohhhh, i reread some of your posts.

Pat that was very helpful, I feel like an idiot because i couldn't understand anything of what you wrote yesterday but i got it today. I got a couple of peices scrap wood 2x4's about 6 feet tall. I think a portable one would be good. I'm headed over to a pawn shop to see the prices of a drill. Hoping i can find one for less than 30. I could use it to drill a 5/16 hole in a peice of metal or wood for arrow sizing as well.

I'll nail in a peice of wood to hold the handle at the top and drill in a hole then screw in the screw eye at the bottom and attach the pulley to it. Should be a peice of cake. Thanks guys.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 07:18:27 pm »
Ok i went out and purchased a drill(40$  :-\) and some drill bits. Went to the hardware store and found some pulleys and a screw eye. I was like  :o when i figured out i didn't know how to attach the pulley to the eye hook when both are metal holes that don't attach or unattach. The pulleys i was looking at were full circles. Do you guys use one that hooks on??  I didn't see one at Ace.

"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 08:15:26 pm »
You should be able to pry open the screw eye and put the pulley in it.  Use a vice and some sturdy pliers.  Or, you could go back to Ace and get a spair chain link that screws shut.  That would work to connect the two.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 08:34:46 pm »
Ok. And i'll look for a chain link. I'm going to be doing this into a 2x4, do i want the screw eye to be able to penetrate through the opposite end of the board?

-JW_Halverson