Author Topic: Rawhide backing ???  (Read 11633 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Rawhide backing ???
« on: January 27, 2012, 06:04:19 pm »
Hi everyone,

I will be adding a backing to a Osage bow to prevent the grain from lifting up around some pin knots... The bow has been shot about 4000 times and the grain is starting to lift up there... Just got some backing strips from Mwirwicki, and have never rawhide backed a bow before, so I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Here's my plan.

1. Scrape down bow to remove tru-oil finish.
2. Soak rawhide backing strips in warm water.
3. While the backing strips are still wet and pliable, apply to bow back with tbII
4. Wrap tightly with ace bandage
5. Let sit 24 hours then remove ace bandage
6. Let rawhide finish hardening
7. Rasp down and sand edges of rawhide smooth with bow.
8. test shoot
9. refinish

Is this the right way to do it?

Input and advice would be great. Also how do some of you go about dying your rawhide? do you do it before or after it is applied to the bow?

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rawhide backing ???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 06:24:38 pm »
That is basically it. Once the rawhide is well hydrated and pliable take it out of the water and remove the excess water. I usually roll it up in a towel or paper towels. Lightly sand the back of the bow and wipe it with a clean rag. Add glue to the back evenly and not too thick. Add a thin layer of glue to the rawhide and put them together. If the rawhide is real thin it may drape nicely over the bow without wrapping it. If not wrap it being careful not to pull the rawhide too much to one side(a common occurance). I use strips of old bed sheets but ace bandage works too.
  I leave the wrap on for about an hour them remove it. The glue has started to set up but still soft. Feel along the back for air bubbles or excess glue pockets and work them out with your thumb of fingers. If the glue has set too much for this a pin prick in the rawhide will allow air to escape. For glue a small razor cut, lengthways will give room to release the excess glueThe small slit will disappear as the glue dries. Also, now is a goiod time to trim excess rawhide off with a sharp razor. Once that's done let it dry for a few days.
  You can dye the rawhide before cglueing it of after it is on the bow. You will probably get a smoother appearance if you dye before glueing it down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:25:44 pm »
Pat makes a good point about not letting the cloth or ace bandage stay on to long. I have let it cure 100% before and not only do I have to sand the wrap off (due to glue push out) but i also had air/glue bubbles that could of been fixed.

Offline macbow

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:28:12 pm »
Just a small point to add. You mentioned wrapping tightly with the Ace bandage. I've found you can wrap too tight. Just nice and snug. Otherwise you can end up with ridges where the layers overlap.
Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 07:53:08 pm »
If you do find that you left the Ace bandage or cotton mummy wrap on the limbs too long and the rawhide has taken an impression from the material, you can always wet it down again with a damp sponge or rag.  This will plump the rawhide, but TBII or TBIII will resist absorbing the water.  Just remember, whatever moisture you add you now have to cure out of the rawhide and the wood!  Don't rush the job and go right into pulling the bow or working on retillering.  Give it plenty of time to come to equilibrium. 

TBII and III will release moisture into the wood as it dries and it needs to migrate all the way thru the wood to finish curing out.  It may not be much water, but it can have a negative effect if you rush the job.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 10:04:34 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys... You cleared a bunch of things up.. I will post progress pics as  I go.

Jon

Offline EricWard

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 10:10:26 pm »
 Hello, PA friends im looking to do some raw hide backing. I read in three rivers that it says not to soak their rawhide in warm water. Does anyone know why that is ?

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 10:28:22 pm »
Kinda of a detour but maybe folks won't mind???

I have a horn bow in my plans, not necessarily an Asiatic or such but I was thinking and wondering how a thin core of rawhide would work between the horn and sinew?  Probably missing something important with this idea but would love to hear some thoughts and opinions on the topic.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 10:34:15 pm »
Hello, PA friends im looking to do some raw hide backing. I read in three rivers that it says not to soak their rawhide in warm water. Does anyone know why that is ?

You want the rawhide to form to the back of the bow. If you try to glue it on dry, it won't form. Unless you are gluing it to a board. Warm water just rehydrate faster than cool water. You will want to blot the rawhide before applying. See Pat's instructions above.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline EricWard

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 10:45:25 pm »
thanks BevanR that makes good since and Pat B makes an awsome rawhide bow :)

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 10:49:06 pm »
I'm surprised more people don't use hide-glue for rawhide. The process is so much easier to control and the bond is far better.
 Lee, in your scenario the rawhide is just like a layer of thick glue. Doesn't provide sonmething for the horn to hold against in shear. Might as sell just make a sinew/horn bow.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 11:06:17 pm »
Thanks Pat, I had that lurking suspicion in my mind plus undue added weight...thanks for confirming my thoughts.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 10:15:54 pm »
3Rivers told me they recommend not using warm water because so many people have thought that if warm is good then hot must be really good.  Then they get peeved because the $20 plus postage they spent for rawhide strips shrinks up as it cooks in boiling water.  Rawhide will denature and shrink to nothing in hot water just like sinew does.

Go ahead and use warm water, just warm enough to it feels good to hold your hands in it. 

As for why I won't use hide glue with rawhide backing...I find it's like greased ice!  My rawhide slides around too much and I have a hard time getting it to stay in place as I wrap the limbs.  Other than that, I'd much rather use hide glue for most everything. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 01:38:58 pm »
I got another quick question.... Have any of you had any luck wrapping the rawhide with string as it dries like it says to do in the TBB? I am having troubles when wrapping with cloth with my rawhide slipping around on me...

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 02:31:44 pm »
The string will leave a definate impression in the rawhide but that will work to hold the rawhide down. You will also have trouble holding the rawhide while wrapping with string. That is part of the process with rawhide and skin backings.
  JW, I wonder how mant rawhide backings 3Rivers has done!  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC