Author Topic: Osage Question?  (Read 3523 times)

Offline rmjames

Osage Question?
« on: January 28, 2012, 09:17:51 pm »
I have been chasing a ring on a piece of osage and when i got to the one I wanted which was about three rings down from the sapwood I end up having these islands or dark spots under some of the early wood--Is this part of the early wood--it seems to be just as hard as the lighter looking late wood next to it? It appears to me that the late wood in this stave just has darker and lighter areas--I tried to scrape the darker stuff off which is lying just below the early wood in the handle area and ultimately went thru the ring into the next ring--as you can see in the pics the punky/crunchy early wood is closer to my 2X6 vise jaws and then the late wood shows in two different shades closer to the camera. It seems like I can scrape enough in some areas to get to lighter colored yellow wood but in some places the darker stuff goes deep into the late wood ring and I can't get thru it without going all the way thru--anyybody seen this kind of marbled look in Osage before???
thanks Rick

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Osage Question?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 10:28:25 pm »
That's odd, don't think I have seen that before.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:09:16 pm »
That's just some early growth left in the low spots. Use a goose neck scraper or something similar to remove. I use a wood spoon carver for that job myself.

Oh, if you'll pad your vice's jaws with rubber pads it'll grip much better. Looks a lot like mine.....Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:23:48 pm »
Hackberry and hickory often have those same humps and dips. It would make for a cool back if you can sand all the loose stuff away and keep the rest in place.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rmjames

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 12:37:50 am »
Hey Pearl, all the loose stuff is already scraped off--thats what makes it so interesting--It probably won't be quite as noticeable when the limbs are narrowed up but it will still probably look cool if I can make a bow out of it. After scraping on it quite a bit I have come to the conclusion that it is all good late wood--its not like there are low spots with soft early wood left in them- the light and the dark spots are both equally hard. I got the stave from Gutpile and he told me this tree was taken down when they tore down the old Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta--where the Braves and the Falcons used to play before they built the Georgia Dome--Its  Tiger Striped Georgia Osage--Maybe this is just how Sage grows in Georgia...
thanks, Rick

Offline rmjames

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 12:08:05 pm »
Up for the Sunday crowd--anybody else ever seen Osage that looked like this??

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 12:37:58 pm »
I've not seen this anomaly before but if the wood feels sound I'd go for it. Osage comes in quite a few color phases and variations and some of these are bad but most are just  color phases and variations and the wood is not effected otherwise.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 12:58:57 pm »
  It is kind of odd, are you 100% sure it is osage? I was scraping on an osage yesterday and kept thinking I was smelling an electrical fire. I would get up search my property and the smell would come back, as soon as I started scraping it would come back, I finaly realized it was my scraper against the osage doing it. My buddy could smell it 6ft away. Very strong synthetic plastic or chemical smell. First time I had experienced this also.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 01:05:39 pm »
I know the smell you're referring to Steve. That medicinal/wire burning smell means decay to me.

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 02:53:03 pm »
That looks like the first heartwood ring under the sapwood...that happens because it hasn't transitioned into all heartwood yet...I've seen it before.

Offline rmjames

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 05:28:39 pm »
It does feel sound--I intend on continuing.
I did not cut this tree so I guess it could be possible that it is not Osage but if it is not osage I don't know what it is--It has the characteristics of sage--the way it works, hardness, in general its yellow color...
The last set of pics are of the fourth ring under the sapwood--probably a good 1/2 inch under the sapwood.
thanks for the response guys, like I said I fully intend on continuing--I have a little twist to get out after i get her shaped up a little more and closer to bow dimensions.
Rick

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 05:55:41 pm »
Would you post a pic of the end grain please ?
A good in focus close up for my old eyes
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline rmjames

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 06:53:03 pm »
The Culprit

Side view of one end

Both ends--these are both 1&1/4 inches top to bottom

thanks again guys
Rick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 07:28:59 pm »
That redish coloration at on the end grain generally means real good osage but in some cases it is the exact opposite.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rmjames

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 10:47:10 pm »
Yeah Pat, lets just hope it the good stuff!!!