Author Topic: Nice Piece of ASH...  (Read 1455 times)

Offline jermcramp1

Nice Piece of ASH...
« on: January 29, 2012, 12:33:08 pm »
I've built 3 board bows, this is my first self bow...I cut this tree down last summer, and a few months ago split it and took it over to Gus' who helped me hatchet it down to about 3" square...

A few weeks ago I chased it down to one ring with my draw knife, before I knew I didnt need to, but I figured I needed the practice anyway... The back of this is lumpy and bumpy and all sorts of squirley.

Yesterday I got it down to almost floor tillered, well, I thought I got it f/T until I saw the pics...funny how my mind plays tricks...

I am using only a shark tooth rasp to do first shaping and a 4 way to do everything else, and paper of course later. It takes longer but I always mess up when I use power tools.

68" TTT, 4" handle, 1.5" fade, a little less that 2" wide at fade til 1/3 up the limb where it tapers/follows grain to 1/2"tips, and the last 6" will not bend.

I am looking for 45ish# @ 28". I am going to build the double post tiller jig someone has on here to tiller it down. and final tiller by hand with your guys' help...

I will keep posting pics so you guys can walk me through this, and I put red tape on one end so you guys can differentiate the two, I'll keep it there until its tillered so yall know what its doing.

First shaping...

Not quite there...

theres two lumps right near the tip...

Bigd knot on the static tip part so I'm not too worried about it.

and a dark line that runs from the tip to a little past the tip fade.

These are a couple inches from the handle fade

Lemme know what yall think?
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

blackhawk

Re: Nice Piece of ASH...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 03:03:35 pm »
Looking alright so far man...concentrate on getting more bend in your mid limbs when floortillering...other than that keep going ;)

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 11:54:07 am »
Well snap! it broke while floor tillering...Guess I pushed it too far...but it looked like the thin rings in between the thick ones were dry and brittle because it separated and looked like it unlaminated itself in the rings...Guess some are gonna break huh?

Now I got to go to work on the Osage I guess...
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:32 pm »
Ash can be very tricky, especially green ash. Its the weakest of the batch. Get some white ash and give it another go.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.