Author Topic: Spalling  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Spalling
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 06:46:13 pm »
George,

I'm planning on coming up to Fairfield on Friday and hanging with the family Friday night.
But If you would be up for me staying with you Saturday night I could be up and out early Sunday to head
to mi casa.

Just a thought... :)

Would love to sit with you and break rock or make shavings...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 07:31:46 pm »
PM sent.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 01:26:31 am »
I tried another of the spalls raw and I'm beginning to like it that way.  Got a nice 150gr point and the notching even went reasonably well.  Yay! :) :)  I see in the picture that last little thinning I did by the tip messed up the symmetry.  I've got to learn when to leave it alone... ::)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 01:41:14 am »
Symrtry can still be be fixed. If it breaks oooh well its a learning curve. The point is still a hunter like it is! Keep knappin!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 01:50:28 am »
Now George you have impressed me.  I like that point there a lot.  Great thread and nice rock!!

dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 10:08:44 am »
Wow look at you now.  Now you got great notches and your pressure flaking is making to center.  Now make a bunch of points and you will have a great set of points to hunt with.  The last two weeks has been big for you and your getting good quick.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 10:56:53 am »
Thanks, this is the nicest rock I've worked so far.  I don't remember if I got it from Patrick or Cipriano, but I have a bucket of it to spall out. :) 

This is the first point where I envision'd a point in the stone before I started and it ended up just like I imagined (just like when I build a bow). ;D  When things work, this is one of the most fulfilling hobbies ever...and when they don't it's maddening. ???

John, that's indirect percussion, not pressure flaking.  I am making longer flakes with pressure than I used to, but  the indirect percussion has started going so well that I haven't done pressure flaking as much.  I do use pressure to turn the edge, to clean up symmetry and sharpen, but that's about it.  I'm hoping to get a lesson with Tower or Cowboy in not too long and then I'll work pressure a lot more.  I did file my notching tool down to a square and I like it that way.  For the first time I was able to square off the notches  Yay!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 02:56:48 pm »
I really like that point George, is it rootbeer?
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 03:29:54 pm »
I don't think so.  The rootbeer I've seen is more brown than this is.  This is good stuff though.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 03:31:12 pm »
That is a very nice looking point George. Would love to see it hafted.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 02:16:57 am »
very nice job spalling that rock. You wont have those 20-50lb heads to spall all the time so it is good to get on those smaller heads.