Author Topic: 60 Minutes - Texas Hunts  (Read 6760 times)

Offline Parnell

60 Minutes - Texas Hunts
« on: January 30, 2012, 01:08:37 pm »
Anybody catch 60 Minutes last night and the segment on the state of hunting exotics in Texas?  I thought it was very interesting.

Here is a link: http: http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml

I didn't realize just how much was involved in the situation.  Can't say I like the idea of canned hunts, but after watching, I understand the value.  Of course there is an animal rights group that has been looking to shut it down for sometime and an upcoming supreme court decision will make the hunters of endangered exotics from other contries need a federal license for the hunt, which will in turn lower the demand for the hunt and then the fees, and then the animals.

Hmmm.
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: 60 Minutes - Texas Hunts
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:20:06 pm »
I saw it and also found it interesting,the lady[well I guess you could call her that] was really dumb about the whole thing and I just can't figure how she could win the law suite with that attitude and complant about about the issue.  :) Sounding to me like she had no case at all and the ranchers had a very good one,guess that's why I ant a judge. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:30:54 pm »
One other thing I noticed and caught me totally off guard was the way 60 minutes covered it, I saw the pre view and watched expecting 60 minutes to ream the ranchers and hunters really bad,but they covered it very even I thought, big suprise. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 03:08:41 pm »
I saw it, and the lady seemed to be dead set on not hunting the exotics period! Didn't matter to her it seems that the population for some of the exotics that were endangered oversea's were thriving and the herd growing in Texas.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 03:20:39 pm »
Watched it.

The Friends of Animals(FOM) female is your typical "No Hunting at Any Cost" idiot.
There is no arguing with them.

The Interviewer I feel was not far behind the FOM person in her belief system, if you're a hunter, you're a killer.
I get the vibe that the Interviewer was South African. I'd think she would know more about the loss of biomass on the African continent.

As far as Federal Licensing goes.
It will be the Death Knell of many Exotic Endangered Species.

Good Grief, you can't send the Animals back to Africa unless you are willing to PAY to have the sites prepared to receive them
And you have to PAY  to feed them. And PAY to ship them.
And once they get there they get POACHED!

You Just Can't Fix Stupid.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 04:45:46 pm »

There is no arguing with them.

don't worry, we have other ways to deal with them >:D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 05:00:45 pm »
Interesting to read opinions.  Yup, what a waste, especially when there are obviously passionate people pursuing the management of the game using proper biological science and enforcing good hunting ethics.  It is difficult to understand why people wouldn't get this when given the "bigger picture".

The only real logical argument I can see against it is that it is introducing alien species into the ecosystem.  But even at that...I dunno.  I guess, who are we to choose what should be and shouldn't be rooted out as "alien" and do private ranches have a right to breed these species.  I mean, it's one thing if it's an antelope, it'd be another if it were bengal tigers.  I'm just thinking out loud here, don't mind me.

I'd like to know what the rationale is behind the court's decision on siding for these federal licenses.  I'm sure there is a trip to the moon and back of red tape and precedents that have been sorted through for this decision to be made.

Gus - "You just can't fix stupid", yessir, I'm only 36 but each year that goes by the more I say, how true...how true.
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »
 Well I imagine if releasing Exotics into the Eco system is the problem then I think it might become a realty if the courts shut down the hunts. It's easier to let them go then to dispose of them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 08:44:46 pm »
ill help release them in RI, ill even help keep down their population >:D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 09:48:44 pm »
Gus is right, this is virtually a religion for the animal rights folks.  They would rather the animals die  than humans should kill some and the population improve or become healthy.  I argued with them in Chicago in the 80s over deer overpopulation in a forest preserve.  In the face of overwhelming neighbor sentiment, traffic accident stats, scientific evidence and even some other animal friendly organizations like the Audobon Society who stood up to say that the deer had destroyed the habitat for the birds and something needed to be done; they kept screaming that no deer should die.  When the decision went against them they sat in the parking lot and cried.  They really believe what they say even though it makes no sense and  there is no evidence to support their position.  The saddest thing is that in nearly every case these organizatoins spend the vast majority of their money trying to stop hunting instead of working to really help the animals which, just like in this case, eventually hurts the animals.   Very sad.

Be interesting to see how this plays out.  Texans have traditionally not responded well to being ordered to do anything by the government.  I suspect there's gonna be more to this story.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 11:34:00 pm »
The far extremist animal rights people envision a future where even predators don't kill.

Hubris ( /ˈhjuːbrɪs/), also hybris, means extreme haughtiness, pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power.

Loss of contact with reality, REALLY?  Chose one from column A or column B:

A.) You are smarter than 3.7 billion years of evolution.    B.) You are smarter than God.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 10:29:58 am »
Yessir, JW.
1’—>1’

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 01:31:34 pm »
Yes Sir... I like it JW!

Remember The Alamo!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 01:56:43 pm »
Commercial value is what keeps many animal populations alive and growing.  I'm not too worried about the stupid people.  I'm worried about the smart people.  I hope the smart ones don't let the bullies steal their lunch money.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 02:29:18 pm »
Year 2020 all horses must be removed from north America now.  It stands to reason. Nuts
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!