Author Topic: Ceremonial Regalia  (Read 4252 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

Ceremonial Regalia
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:08:26 pm »
This is a set of hairpins I made for my wife's traditional regalia - she has been wanting some of these for a while.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Ceremonial Regalia
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:42:14 am »
Wow, those are pretty rad.  I'd like to see them in action.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 02:09:59 am »
Guess you'll have to come to California In August or September when my wife dances. :laugh:

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:47:56 am »
      Hmmmm, new ceremonial hair pins, and..... chocolate?! :o
Just what did you do, or not do, to need to do all the work that went into that, and bring home Chocolate also?  :o ::)  Nice work by the way, 8) but just can't help wondering....... ;)  Oh, ok, I know, I know, she dances better with chocolate ...... it's an energy thing, and a calming food, which makes her more relaxed, and able to concentrate on her dancing, rather than on what the judges might think. ....... or as a peace offering.....maybe..... ::) ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:13:05 pm »
Very cool...would also like to see how they are worn.. Been to a few dances in the city (Chicago) but can't remember the hairpins.     What tribe are they from?

My neighbor often sings with a drum group and they sometimes practice at his house which is a little over a 1/4 mile from my house.  Cool to hear the drum and singing come through the woods!! :)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 05:05:18 pm »
@ stickbender - the choclate box was just to hold them up, she did not actually get any. :'(
@Lowell - this is not Pow-Wow dancing this is traditional California Indian dancing - more prayer based.  I will take a pic of the Man dancer mannequin downstairs after lunch. That way you can have a general idea of how the hairpins are used. 

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:49:40 pm »
The Hairpins are used by the people,that i grew up with as well.I have relations that dance traditional Maidu.I was allways too busy playin Handgame.LOL

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 04:40:50 am »
California Indian??  What tribe?  I'm a Cherokee,,curious about the Native folks out there
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 01:55:29 pm »
@ Traxx - She and my daughter dance with Frank LaPenas Maidu Traditionalists group.
@ Rick - My wife is born Tsa La Gi and raised Southern Sierra Miwuk.  I am Mountain Maidu and Turle Mountain Ojibwa.  We work to maintain tradition in our home and make attempts at maintaining language as well.  I like language and working in the Yosemite Museum I get to learn a lot of them.  I can do some basic descriptions of knapping in Spanish, French and German.  It is nice getting paid to be NDN. Hope you get a chance to visit some day.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 02:37:30 pm »
Used ta play a lot of handgame with Frank,Marvin and Joe Marine,at Beardance.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 05:28:30 pm »
Y Ben,
Let me know,if you got a Pm.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 09:29:46 pm »
got it and replied

Offline Traxx

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 10:08:12 pm »
Y Ben,
Based on those PM's,id bet,that we have at least seen each other in passing before.Maybe even talked before.LOL

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 10:06:06 pm »
@ Lowell and Rick Wallace -  Posted som pics of the mannequin in the museum lobby just for you guys.  Rick send me a pm if you got more questions.