Author Topic: Heating osage  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Jeremy Holden

Heating osage
« on: January 30, 2012, 02:58:16 pm »
I'm working on my second Osage bow.  First one didn't pan out...  Anyway, I need to straighten on limb as it has reflex.  The other limb is fairly flat but I want to add deflex to it as well as the before mentioned limb.  My question is, to I do this prior to or after tillering?  I'm guessing, common sense, that I want to get both limbs looking the some and then tiller.  Right?!  Thanks men (and women).

-Jeremy

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Heating osage
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 03:22:59 pm »
I would add relfex rather than try to remove it. I see some folks get the wood way too hot and cook it just to make a simple bend. In my opinion thats very bad and will cause breaks and nasty cracks. I have made some pretty good bends with dry heat and the wood color looks no different when Im done. I guess Im saying dont over cook your wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 05:19:54 pm »
Jeremy, do you have a caul or form to clamp your bow to? I likie to make both limbs the same even if it means adding and/or taking away some reflex. It is a lot easier to tiller that way.  When I'm adding reflex I use oil on the wood to help prevent scorching and I think it holds the heat longer and distributes it more evenly. Any cooking oil will work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jeremy Holden

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 08:32:39 pm »
I think I may have been confused.  One limb is bending towards the belly.  I want to remove that and make the limb (both actually) bend away from me.  Reflex, deflex, whatever it takes.  Pat, I have half a caul.  I was gonna do one limb at a time.  Do I need to not be cheap and go buy the proper length board?

-Jeremy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:36:05 pm »
Jeremy, no you can do one limb at a time. Be sure you clamp the full handle with each limb so both limbs work off the same plane the handle is on. This should give both limbs the same reflex.
  BTW...reflex the bow bends away from the shooter, deflex the bow bends to the shooter.  Reflex bends toward the back of the bow, deflex bends towards the belly.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jeremy Holden

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:10:25 pm »
Thank you Pat, yes, I want to get rid of deflex and add reflex.  I'll give it a go.

-Jeremy