Author Topic: What exactly is a pyramid bow?  (Read 15104 times)

Offline Slackbunny

What exactly is a pyramid bow?
« on: January 31, 2012, 07:12:54 pm »
So I can infer from the name that a pyramid bow probably has a triangular cross section, but other than that I don't know much about them. Is it the same or similar to a trapped belly?

Offline Ifrit617

Re: What exactly is a pyramid bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:16:19 pm »
A pyramid bow is not triangular in cross section... The limbs appear triangular though when looking at the bows back... From the fades it is a straight taper to the tips, with no parallel section existing in the limb...

Jon

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:19:46 pm »
Okay, I get it now. You just start your limb taper right from the fades. Even simpler than I thought. Thanks.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:20:33 pm »
No prob.. ;)

Jon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:23:43 pm »
It's Egyptian in style.  Made from slave-cut limestone and imbued with otherworldly powers that normal humans can't comprehend.  Alien races are often attributed with the engineering principals, but it was slave labor that made them, ultimately.  Even in the age of the Pharoahs it was The Man keeping us down.

Actually, it refers to the triangular shape of the limb's profile and not the cross section of the limb.  In cross section it would be rectangular (if made from a board opposite sides would be parallel.  But if made from a stave, the back of the bow would be slightly arched from the outside circumferance of the tree).  Pyramid bows taper in width from the widest point just below and above the handle area down to the tips.  Because you are narrowing the limbs consistently from grip to tip the bow limb often remains a consistent thickness from widest point to the tips.  Clear as mud?  Good.  My work here is complete.

Pyramid bows are pretty efficient shooters, fairly easy to make from a board when you don't have a lot of experience with tillering, and work great with lighter target arrows.  The broad part of the limb just seems to beg the maker to indulge in some geometric artistic expression, for some reason.  Something about that otherworldly powers these bows have.  >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 07:24:17 pm »
Okay, I get it now. You just start your limb taper right from the fades. Even simpler than I thought. Thanks.

Not quite. The handle needs to extend a little past the start of the fade or you create a break point on the bow. I learned that the hard way. The easy part if that the limb thickness is pretty much the same the length of the limb. Much of the tiller is done on the side of the bow.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 07:53:46 pm »
Can you explain what you mean Bevan? I have always begun the taper on my pyramid bows right from the end of the fades, and have never had a problem, being careful to not go to deep with my rasp i those areas..

Jon

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:05:21 pm »
If the handle fades into the limb at the red line it causes a stress point that can fail very easily. If the handle fades to the green line area, then the limb does the work.
I made a pyramid bow and did it to the red line. almost 3" at the fades then straight lined to half inch nocks. I tillered it for me and everything was fine. I let a friend draw it and it popped right at the fade. I had some more experienced bow makers look at it and we determined that there was no support. I can post a photo when I get home if the description does not make sense.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:10:18 pm »
Yup Bevan, that's just what the aliens told me, too.  They don't bother me so much now that I wear tinfoil boxers.    ::) 

Those gradual fadeouts share the load, so to speak, and prevent the stresses from focusing too narrowly.  Someone also posted recently about how when working the fades they always use the rasp from the limb into the face instead of from the handle down into the fade.  Prevents a hinge from developing in that spot.  Tricks, tips, and work-arounds: that's where this forum really shines!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 08:13:47 pm »
Someone also posted recently about how when working the fades they always use the rasp from the limb into the face instead of from the handle down into the fade.  Prevents a hinge from developing in that spot.

Never really thought about it, but that is what I do as well. As soon as the limb is bending, I put away the rasp and use a cabnet scrapper. Takes a little longer, but I like the control better.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 08:14:59 pm »
Control freak!

I tiller with a spokeshave!  Ride'em wild, who needs a saddle!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 08:36:00 pm »
Thanks for the tip beavan... I'll try it on the next one... I guess my fade always extends a bit onto the limb, since it is hard to get yay immediat transition with hand tools...

Jon

Offline Lone500

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 08:53:56 pm »
i think ill try this design for my second hickory bow. seems pretty simple.
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 08:58:09 pm »
I really like this design. especially if you are using boards. I backed the black walnut one (the one that got broke) with canvas.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 10:09:13 pm »
You know I made a pyramid bow once without actually knowing what I was doing, and my fade outs ended right where my taper started, and that is exactly where I had problems when it broke. Nice to know what went wrong.