Author Topic: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress  (Read 448413 times)

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
Re: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress
« Reply #540 on: February 25, 2012, 01:35:23 am »
When did you cut this stave? With the cambium being that green I'd say you have a long time before it is ready tio tiller.  ???
*cough*threeweeksago*cough*

Yeah, I guess it's gonna sit for a spell before I can go farther.

Scraping off all the bark and keeping the ridges as much as possible, I am fading them a bit at the edges so they make a smooth transition. I've got this nifty Sandvik scraper with a tiny pear shaped carbide blade.
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #541 on: February 26, 2012, 12:11:34 pm »
first look at my trade bow
just another stick of osage...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:40:42 pm by sadiejane »
wild women don't get the blues

Offline coaster500

« Reply #542 on: February 26, 2012, 12:14:45 pm »
sadiejane, That's a sweet piece of yellow stuff there :)

-----------------------------------------

Great little scraper!!!

footfootfoot, as Pat suggested I'm afraid if your stave is as green as you say, you may have some damage even at this bend. I hope not but green woods like riding a yearling colt ...

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #543 on: February 26, 2012, 04:12:45 pm »
Decent hardwoods are few and hard to find where I live, so I thought I'd found a gold mine when I got a hickory board 2" X 10" X 13' a couple months ago. I cut it in half and sliced one half into backing strips, enough to last me a LONG time. Trouble is every bow I've used it on has broken in tension. The grain is fine but the wood is not. I got it in a store 700 miles from here so it won't be replaced soon. I also got a smaller board (hopefully from a different tree) at the same time, so when I'm finished feeling sorry for myself I'll cut some more strips and get back at it. Sure envy people living back east among all those hardwoods. By the way, my HBI trade bow is backed with wood from a different board, it's still alive, almost ready for final sanding and finish. It shoots so well I want to keep it. Just love ipe and longbows.    Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #544 on: February 26, 2012, 04:49:30 pm »
sadiejane, That's a sweet piece of yellow stuff there :)

-----------------------------------------

Great little scraper!!!

footfootfoot, as Pat suggested I'm afraid if your stave is as green as you say, you may have some damage even at this bend. I hope not but green woods like riding a yearling colt ...

Oh I know. I'm not bending it AT ALL. I'm hardly wiggling it. I know once you burst those cell walls they tend to keep lose all their special goodness and keep their new shape.
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #545 on: February 26, 2012, 07:04:27 pm »
Looks like a real nice stave :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #546 on: February 26, 2012, 09:07:30 pm »
I got some work done to my trade bow Saturday..It's a 66" Bamboo backed Ipe.. Floor tillered, longstringed and braced...all that needs done is: scraped to weight and draw length..
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #547 on: February 26, 2012, 10:45:53 pm »
Can't wait to see that Bill.  Interested to see how ipe performs.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #548 on: February 26, 2012, 10:57:36 pm »
I decided to add a third layer of sinew to my bow and freeze the rest of my glue. Its looking sugar sweet and Im hoping for a 160-170 fps bow for **** to try out. Not to mention, me and set arent all that great of friends anyway.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #549 on: February 26, 2012, 11:14:35 pm »
Ok, just for fun, i'll throw this out there. I started option #1 trade bow for ?????, It' about ??"long, and it's ?? wood, and it's ??? style bow. >:D Alright, I will tell you it's got a rawhide backing. I'll post some pics when thats done drying... ;)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #550 on: February 26, 2012, 11:38:52 pm »
Here is my trade bow all dolled up for a plain Jane.  ;D   I've put over 100 shots through her. She shoots my 650gr tapered shafts very well at my 26" draw. If the recipient shoots arrows that are 10gpp and draws to 28" it will be quite quick.  ;)  Full draw looks a bit off in the pic. I don't know why.  She'll be heading out to her new home next week.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #551 on: February 26, 2012, 11:39:28 pm »
I also have started on a second possible trade bow of white oak.......still on the fence deciding what I will send.........decisions decisions.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Keenan

« Reply #552 on: February 26, 2012, 11:52:06 pm »
Well done Pat, You sure have been on a roll of good bows lately. Sadly I don't think my draw has ever been 28" but I'm working in a new behind the head release >:D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #553 on: February 27, 2012, 12:41:28 am »
Keenan I can't shoot this bow at 28" All I can do is exercise it on the tiller tree at 28" to 29" and hope for the best.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #554 on: February 27, 2012, 12:59:39 am »
Looks good pat, someone will be happy!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)