Author Topic: Hi from a newbie (and first bow pics)  (Read 4070 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Hi from a newbie (and first bow pics)
« on: February 06, 2012, 03:56:16 pm »
Hi all, I recently joined the site and recently completed my first bow.  It is a hickory bow made from a tree we cut down on the farm.  It has a lot of set and is only 26 pounds with a 75 yard max shooting distance.  :)  It was a blast to make though and a great learning experience.  Since then I found bowsite and this site and met some great guys that have hooked me up with an elm stave we're working on and now an osage stave!  It's really nice to be reminded that there are good people still out there. 

Lil about me:
I'm 36 and just got started hunting 4 years ago, though my dad and brother hunted their entire lives.  I love the woods and spend a great deal of time in the PA woods fishing, hiking, mountain biking etc.  I instantly fell in love with hunting and still feel more at home in the woods than anywhere.  It's a nice contrast to my job as a computer programming geek for Dell. 

I'm a big beliver in things we earn we hold most dear.  I love a challenge and I love to live off the land.  My uncle was looking at my carbon element compound bow (ya I love the high tech stuff also) and commenting on how when he was a kid they made their own bows to hunt with.  So I said, "Ok, let's make some bows".  I read the Bent Stick by Paul Comstock and we picked a hickory log from the farm.  It had sat outside a year and the bark was smented to it.  A fact I found out after trying to remove it with a rusted draw knife made of a metal wagon wheel and a large knife.  I probably took me 60 hours to get off that bark!  After many hours with an axe I finally got a hoof rasp which I absolutely love but got predictably agressive with and ended up with a 26 # bow.  I cared little about that and am just happy it didn't break yet.

My goal is to make a bow that I can hunt with and get a whitetail kill.  I killed 5 deer this year with a compound and crossbow and it was a great time but I think it won't even compare to the satisfaction of getting a kill with a weapon I make myself. 

I post some videos to YouTube just for fun and I'll be sure to put some of my progress with my new bows.  I'm also getting some better video equipment to film my hunts with.  Hopefully I can get my first selfbow kill on film!  That is really my goal this year.  http://www.youtube.com/user/VictoryBeforeCombat?feature=mhee

I've already really enjoyed a ton of the information on this site and hopefully I'll be able to contriubte to it eventually and get to know many of you.  Maybe I'll do a build along with my osage bow, after I finish Dean Torges's book. 

Take care,
PAHunter
Wexford, PA

Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Hi from a newbie (and first bow pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:08:54 pm »
Welcome to PA
That is an awesome first bow !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:19:45 pm »
Welcome to primitive archer Rob  ;)   if ya got time maybe we'll get ya bending that elm this weekend. Your enthusiasm is good,and your in the right place here. A lot of great guys and bowmakers here willing to help,so don't ever be shy about asking questions. ;D

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:27:42 pm »
Welcome to PA, think we have a few good bowyers up there in your neck-o-the-woods ;)

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:31:49 pm »
Welcome to the site Rob...and the new addiction...Hope we can help ya out as much as we can...Your next bow will be a deer slayer...Blackhawk and I will see to that!!! ;)
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 05:04:44 pm »
Thank you, I sincerely appreciate it!  I am taken back by everyone's generosity and Blackhawk's amazing brownies! 

Blackhawk, let me know if your available Friday night, Sat during the day, or Sunday anytime.  I could use a lesson on how to tiller a bow above 26 #.   haha  Hopefully we both get that first selfbow kill this year!  I may not know much about bows yet but I'm pretty good at puttin meat in the fridge.  ;)
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 05:09:00 pm »
Blackhawk, now you didn't put anything "special"  :o  in those brownies didja?  >:D     PA, did everything feel lack it was happening in fast forward after a couple brownies? ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 05:30:38 pm »
Blackhawk, now you didn't put anything "special"  :o  in those brownies didja?  >:D     PA, did everything feel lack it was happening in fast forward after a couple brownies? ;)

LMAO  :laugh:....NO COMMENT  8)

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 05:34:20 pm »
Thank you, I sincerely appreciate it!  I am taken back by everyone's generosity and Blackhawk's amazing brownies! 

Blackhawk, let me know if your available Friday night, Sat during the day, or Sunday anytime.  I could use a lesson on how to tiller a bow above 26 #.   haha  Hopefully we both get that first selfbow kill this year!  I may not know much about bows yet but I'm pretty good at puttin meat in the fridge.  ;)

Ill be home making bows all weekend as usual. ;D.....just tell me a day/days n time when ur comin over.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 05:35:33 pm »
If Chris is helping ya you don't need us !!!
Have fun !!
Wish I was there !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 05:57:24 pm »

k-hat, I was a little light headed but I just figured it was the fumes from Bill's bamboo dust and glue.  ;)  I was fine but when a guy that's listening to Bob Marley offers me brownies I drive home extra slow just in case. 

Chris, right on man, I'll see you after 7:00 on Friday! 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline Lone500

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 06:06:39 pm »
never been offered brownies by someone listening to bob marley before. been offered cookies from a guy wearing a grateful dead tshirt tho lol.
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 06:21:13 pm »
WOW you just put my first bow to shame, you will make a great addition to the PA community
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 06:22:26 pm »
Welcome! Beautiful bow! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 06:36:25 pm »
Hmmm??...the evidence is stacking against me ???

I guess they were good cus ya didn't leave till 12:30 a.m.  :laugh:....and ill see ya at 7 with some grateful dead cranking  O:)