Author Topic: Bow Repair with Rawhide Question  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Bow Repair with Rawhide Question
« on: February 06, 2012, 06:51:00 pm »
I recently discovered that a bow I made a while ago had popped a small splinter on the back. So I plan to hit it with some superglue and then wrap it with rawhide. Only problem is I have never worked with rawhide before. So what exactly is the process I need to go through in order to wrap that splinter?

Offline sadiejane

Re: Bow Repair with Rawhide Question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:09:05 pm »
first let me say i have not repaired a splinter.
this rawhide "repair" was from a wind check that got mighty close to the edge of the bow.
even tho it was following the grain and at the end of the crack the grain turned back in towards the center of the bow,
i didnt feel completely confident doing nothing
i cant even say it is a permanent fix, but its held for hundreds of arrows so far...
all i did was soak the rawhide in water after cutting it to proper dimension to fit around bow tip
then stitched it up with artificial sinew.
when it was still wet the edges of the rawhide were just touching.
as you can see in the pic the rawhide shrunk quite a bit when it was dry
that puppy is on there tight

hopefully you will get some of the fellas who have years more experience than i to give ya good advice.

a
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 07:45:23 pm »
I think I'd use a sinew(real) wrap. Sinew shrinks as it dries and will hold fast. Super glue over the dried sinew will seal it and prevent it from unraveling too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:10:18 pm »
Without seeing the splinter I would do what Pat said. Super glue it first then rap
it with sinew, if all you have is rawhide you could cut the rawhide into laces,wet it stretch it and rap,it would probably hold about as good , just bulkier. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 02:01:24 pm »
Thanks for your inputs. I've got to think this over before I move forward though. I can't shoot it until spring anyway or I'll probably lose my arrows in the snow.