Author Topic: Yeller Mighty Mouse  (Read 15098 times)

Offline rps3

Re: Yeller Mighty Mouse
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2012, 06:11:04 pm »
Great looking bow. Backyard looks cool too.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2012, 06:20:41 pm »
I just cut an osage limb...  one of those good three inch diameter sprouts from a stump....   It looks like a candidate for this style....  It is deflexed some and I am thinking about strapping it down over some blocks to dry and maybe induce some of the reflexed tips....  I have the ends sealed with Tite bond for now....  What do you think about a sapling for this style of bow....?    I intend to shoot for about a 60 - 64" bow in the same style.   What did you use for your tip overlays?   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2012, 07:12:22 pm »
That is a cool bow.  Love the design. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

blackhawk

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 09:19:17 pm »
thanks bob  ;)
thanks cmb

hrhodes..if its still green and wet i wood reduce down to near bow dimensions,then seal the whole thing with shellac(back,sides,belly,and ends),then steam it into shape. then let dry. and i would put rawhide on the back at least becuase a 3" dia piece will have a high crown and this is a high stress design. good luck n have fun. i shaped mine via dry heat cus it was 15 year old wood

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2012, 10:47:35 am »
Thanks blackhawk.  I will follow your advice.  I have noticed that you turn out some fine yeller wood bows!   This will be my first of osage.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PeteC

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2012, 10:56:44 am »
Very neat little bow.Looks like a great blind bow to me. Great job. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

blackhawk

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2012, 11:29:58 am »
Thanks n no problem hrhodes..hope it works out for ya  :)

Thanks petec

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2012, 03:29:25 pm »
Now that is thinking outside the box. Very well done. You could not have done better on it. Tiller is sweeeet. So little wood doing so much work. There are'nt many out there like it, if any at this point. Now that you have shown us what can be done I bet you see a few more in the next year. Very cool design. Great job.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

blackhawk

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2012, 06:24:33 pm »
thanks danny...i am very pleased with the way it turned out. and i know we'll be seeing more like it...from me :laugh:....i already got a longer elm version all shaped heat treated n bending on the tree almost ready for brace. lets see what a white wood does.  >:D

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2012, 09:32:56 pm »
I've not yet worked with elm but I have seen Marc StLouis do some good things with it and he thinks its first rate, so I'm gonna say it'l  be great.....IF you heat treat it.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2012, 01:23:26 am »
I must have missed this one when you first posted it Chris.  What a great looking profile!  Seems like a wicked design for a hunting bow.  I think you made the most of every gram of wood in that sucker.  And with those light, narrow tips, it's no wonder it smokes those arrows.  I can't wait to see how your elm version turns out.  I just happen to have a ton of it that's been seasoning for almost 2 years. :)  Keep us posted!

blackhawk

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2012, 02:04:21 am »
thanks cameroo...looks like ya missed the elm too,cus i finished that one up already....its an upscaled version of this. its fun to flight shoot  ;)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30846.msg408394.html#msg408394