Author Topic: bamboo poles  (Read 6991 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: bamboo poles
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 12:17:10 pm »
That's an idea...I have also considered trapping the back with a narrower piece. Thanks for the feedback.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 02:01:44 pm »
Howdy Folks,  I have two suggestions.   I've tried both and can say they work for using narrow bamboo strips.
1)    There is no reason why you can't use two or more parallel strips to back a bow.  That way you can use much thinner and narrower strips.   It may look funny, but the biggest objection may be that the back is then almost all "power fibers" and may over power the belly.  That is easily taken care of by trapping the back.
2)   Make the bow from a dense wood like Ipe.   Seven eighths to 1 " wide ipe bows are quite do-able and 3-4" bamboo will be plenty wide enough to back a 1" bow.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 07:49:35 pm »
I've become a fan of thinner bows so I will definitely try a 1" or less with the boo I have. Thanks for all the info guys!
Even the dogs get the crumbs...