Author Topic: left wing vs right??  (Read 3079 times)

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
left wing vs right??
« on: May 17, 2012, 01:09:10 pm »
Do you guys strictly stay one way or the other? Left vs right? I understand that you would obviously use all right or all left for an individual arrow, but would the variation from arrow to arrow (for the same bow) be great enough to warrant using only one wing from a turkey? Obviously this is my first adventure into making my own arrows haha. Right handed shooter if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance.

Offline Bevan R.

Re: left wing vs right??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:20:22 pm »
I use both. I do not see a grouping difference.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 01:22:07 pm »
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »
I am right handed and use them both, no difference in accuracy for me either.
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of MEAT!

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 03:33:17 pm »
I've made thousands of arrows. I'm right handed and I used to use only left wing fletchings. I was given some right wing feathers and decided to build some arrows using them. I could not tell any difference in the flight of the arrows whether I used left or right or left wing fletchings, so I use them all now. Some folks may argue with that, but thats what I've found.
                                                                                                          Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 03:59:50 pm »
I do not believe grouping would change, however if you use screw in field points or broad heads the left wings will spin your arrow in the direction that will unscrew your points. So, I use right wing only for screw in points. Traditional glue on points and stone points should not matter.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 04:15:27 pm »
I switch back and forth depending on what i have the most of. I do keep all the feathers on a set of arrows the same tho.
Steve Bennett

Offline Scowler

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:43:21 pm »
Never noticed any difference.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 07:00:51 am »
I use left most of the time but really don't think their is any diference.I have shot both. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 05:56:29 pm »
i pretty much just use left because i use left wing single bevel broadheads and i don't have a right wing clam for my bitz
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 02:37:53 pm »
i pretty much just use left because i use left wing single bevel broadheads and i don't have a right wing clam for my bitz

Me too...for exactly the same reasons ;D