Author Topic: when to fell hickory  (Read 8217 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: when to fell hickory
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 11:18:52 am »
  I've cut it when I can. I don't mind the winter.  It's not a problem top rasp it off down to back with out volating the back ring. With HICKORY it dos'nt matter anyway. Just a little more work.
  I do this I cut my staves down to simi bow fourm. Them add my reflex while green. Some times I'll remove the bark it I have the time. If not leave it on but spray mine down with pestaside here in WV. I just go to LOWES. Then rasp it off when I get around to builting the bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 11:25:11 am »
Yup. Cut it during the growing season. The xylem and phloem are the 2 main transport systems in a tree. In  other words they carry the sap. When the bark is removed so is the xylem and phloem which we call the inner bark. Therefore, there is no reason to wait for the sap to be down before you cut any wood for bows...white, yellow or greenish-brownish (black locust). Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 11:35:34 am »
"When to fell hickory"?

AT night so you don't get caught.  >:D

Ok, that was funny :)
Fortunately it's on my property so I dont need to worry about that  ;D
I should know better.

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 11:36:47 am »
If you leave the bark on it makes a bow that's nearly unbreakable,being that it will be your first bow...maybe that a worthwhile option?? GL,Ron
Wow, I like the look of that bow with the bark on!
I should know better.

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 11:38:59 am »

Thanks very much for the fast and thorough replies.
Given my unsteady hands, I'll control my impatience and wait until the spring. 
Maybe I'll do a hot box to dry 1 stave, we'll have to see how busy the summer is.

I should know better.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 11:46:42 am »
I have tried leaving the bark on a few hickory bows after reading an article in an old PA Magazine. The bark always cracked after drawing the bow and those cracks went down into the wood ruining the bows. I would like to know what techniques you used to build a hiockory bow with the bark left on. I still want to build one like that and I still have time this year to cut one so the bark will stay intact and not jeopardize the bow.
 Paul, I read that your hands were unsteady or weak thats why I suggested waiting until the growing season. You will be surprised how easily the bark comes off then.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Beleg

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 12:55:42 pm »
Since I have recently posted about my making of a bow from a hickory sapling what can I do but recommend that you fell your tree in summer and make *that* bow next winter. But, right now find a 2-3 inch thick hickory sapling and make your bow for next hunting season right now, um, like I'm doing. The bark on a hickory sapling can just be scraped off quite easily with a knife. :D
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30406.msg405703.html#msg405703

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 02:44:43 pm »
I'm with Beleg, debarking aside, I would want to get the tree/sapling cut ASAP so it can start drying. Then cut one in the summer for later. JMO.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 02:50:41 pm »
Hickory is one of those woods that gets all giggly and happy when moisture presents itself, it will soak it up like a cowboy at an open bar!  But then it becomes a scrooge-faced miser and doesn't want to give it up when you want to cure that same moisture out. 

Fortunately it works pretty easy with a drawknife when it is wet.  Once you have the bark off, trace out the shape of the limbs and drawknife it down close to dimension and get your belly down to bit more than half an inch.  Since you now have much less mass, the moisture will cure out more quickly.  Seal the back and ends. 

At this point, it might want to warp and twist on you, so you can use some light rope to bind it down to a 2x4 to try to reduce that problem.  It may still want to twist up pretty bad, but a little use of a heat gun and a pipewrench will fix it's little red wagon!

In the meanwhile, go check out Jawge's pages on making board bows.  Blow $7.00 on a good hickory board, back it with carpenters glue (heck, even Elmer's school glue) and some strips you cut from a brown paper bag and go to town!  Don't even think of it as a bow, it's just wood that you are learning on, practice for your tools.  It will even help build some of the fine motor skills that your hands are going to need when you go after that stave.  If it tillers out well and shoots you are ahead of the game!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 08:57:49 pm »
   One thing I always do is but it in the hot box as I build it. Either I leave it in with 20 watt bulbs and leave the lid up a few inchs. Or put it in with the lid down for 1/2 hour or so each time I work it. If it's winter time I just keep it up high where the heat is. Hickory soaks up realitive humitly over night. This helps with set and straight follow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 11:58:08 pm »
That is a sweet lookin bow with the bark on. Will it stay on if you add a finish to the outside or will it come off over time?

I have tried leaving the bark on a few hickory bows after reading an article in an old PA Magazine. The bark always cracked after drawing the bow and those cracks went down into the wood ruining the bows. I would like to know what techniques you used to build a hiockory bow with the bark left on. I still want to build one like that and I still have time this year to cut one so the bark will stay intact and not jeopardize the bow

@ lesken,I use a rag with a little raw linseed oil on both bark and belly.

@ Pat, Idk just got lucky I guess :laugh: I cut the tree in the winter,split it right away,put it in the box for 14 days,then shaped and tilled it. The bow does make 'noise' and has cracks too but they all stop at the inner bark...its really kind of neat!!   Its over built and shocks the hand a bit but I love her anyway and shes staying as is!
I should add that the idea to make the bark on bow came from the internet,I don't remember where from but I do remember several different article's and references to it being a good way to make bows from staves and saplings without having to chase a ring. I made several test pieces from various saplings( all pignut hickory) that I dried at the same time as the stave, I couldn't break them!! I should also say that the tree that the stave was from was about 3 1/2" in diameter. I'm just guessing here,but maybe the bark on thing only works on smaller diameter tree's and saplings. I have been testing buck brush(I don't know the real name),bark on 1"x2' and I am amazed is all I can say...20# @ 12",Just sayn' Ron 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:52:06 pm by DRon knife »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 12:36:25 am »
Thanks...It really does look sweet! I can't wait to try one.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 11:54:19 pm »
I kinda gives one another option. Gl,Ron