Author Topic: Winter project - Yew Recurve bow  (Read 275610 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Winter project - Yew Recurve bow
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2012, 11:58:05 pm »
I use a coping saw with a fine blade to cut out the shape of the nocks.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2012, 12:00:37 am »
After cutting the nocks with the saw, I clean them up with a chisel and file.

Then I taper the ends with a rasp and file.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:47 am »
Here is what they look like when I’m done.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2012, 12:07:23 am »
I left the belly flat while floor tillering. Now I’m going to give the limbs a slightly oval cross section. I do this by first taking the sides down with a #50 rasp. I then make another pass closer to the center. Then I smooth the edges with the rasp to create a smooth and pleasing radius along the entire length of the limb.

I then use a scraper to round the edges. And 100 grit sandpaper to take out the tool marks.

The result is a slightly oval cross section along the entire length of the limbs.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2012, 12:08:55 am »
The process of making of creating an oval cross section will take off about 10# of draw weight.  I check the tiller to make sure it is still okay.

Perfect.

Gordon

Offline snag

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2012, 12:11:39 am »
Wow, this bow has it all! I like the way you did the nocks Gordon.  Is there any danger by exposing the end grain to it splitting?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2012, 12:12:18 am »
Now I am going to shape the handle. I’ve helped quite a few people with making their bows and have noticed that shaping the handle seems to give a lot of new bowyers trouble. I think maybe it is intimidating to cut into your bow with a big rasp and thus beginners tend to over-think the process. It’s really not that hard if you follow the basic steps that I will outline here. For this bow I’m going to make a bulbous handle. This is the simplest and safest handle to make and for me, the most comfortable to shoot.

I begin by squaring off the sides and making the handle width 1 ¼”.  A micro-rasp works really well for this.

Next I reduce the depth of the handle of the handle area to about 1 3/8”. I use a Ferrier’s rasp for this because I really want to hog some wood off quickly.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2012, 12:14:34 am »
Now I round off the handle area around the fades using first a Ferrier’s rasp to get the general shape followed by a #49 rasp.

I use a set of calipers to make sure that both ends of the handle taper evenly into the fades.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2012, 12:17:15 am »
I like a mild swell in my handles. To do that I start by using the rounded side a #49 rasp to cut channels into each corner of the handle.  I use calipers to measure the wood thickness between the channels. When I am done the thickness will be slightly more than 1”.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2012, 12:20:18 am »
Now I shape the handle swell using a rasp.

Next I radius the back and front of the handle with a rasp to begin the rounding process.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2012, 12:22:16 am »
Then I round the handle using a rasp and use a scraper to shape the fades.

And here is the finished handle.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2012, 12:23:55 am »
The bow is now ready to be backed. Here are a couple of pictures of it.

Next up - preparing sinew.
Gordon

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2012, 12:30:10 am »
Gordon, Gordon, Gordon. If I could only work the hand tools like you do, I don't think I would ever flip a switch. That is a real piece of art already and your not even finished. When I saw you had posted some updates, I read to the end....what I thought was the end, and when I got ready to post, you had already added more pics. I told my wife it's like watching a good play or movie and waiting on the next act. I hope in time, I will learn the patience that you have acquired through obvious hours and hours of working those tools. That means a lot that you took the time on Sunday night to upload these for us. Thanks, Gordon. I await the next stage in this bow.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline coaster500

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2012, 02:08:53 am »
Amazing, precise work Gordon...  and a great build-a-long, Great!!!

Thank you :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:55 pm »
Thanks Dave. I don't think the danger is any greater than when using standard nock designs. That said, these nocks will be wrapped in sinew when I am done.

Thank you Lesken, what a nice compliment.

Thank you coaster.
Gordon